We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denpasar - Gilimanuk (Pemuteran?)

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
201 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Denpasar - Gilimanuk (Pemuteran?)

Okay here is the thing: we will arrive from Lombok by airplane at 8:25 in the morning at Denpasar airport. The next day we need to be near the Ijen Volcano on Java.

So in theory we have the whole day to get to the west of Bali.

I was wondering what to do with that day. I heard Pemuteran is a great place, but it is also a little bit past Gilimanuk (where we need to be for the boat).

Is it correct that it is about 2 hours drive from Denpasar airport to Pemuteran? If that is the case it would make sense to go there and do some snorkeling maybe.

The next day I don't think we need to take an early boat to Java as I read they are going all day (is that true?) so we have some time then too.

(or will it take a lot of time to get to a hotel near Ijen?) I think I would be fine by just arriving in the end of the afternoon.

If Pemuteran is not a reasonable option: what would you advise? Are there nice things on the route from Denpasar to Gilimanuk? Nice stopovers? A good place to stay the night?

I am a bit torn since two sort of half days are not really that much but on the other hand we could do something nice with them

Also: is it better to arrange a driver for this route? Or can we take a taxi from the airport?

Are there drivers that you can approach at the airport too?

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
8,606 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denpasar - Gilimanuk (Pemuteran?)

From the airport it's more like 4 hours or possibly more to Pemuteran, depending on traffic and any possible detours and any sightseeing you might want to do in Bali along the way...You could easily spend 8 hours getting there if you stop at any temples or lakes or scenery (ie rice terraces, Munduk area, Bedugul etc) Snorkeling starts in the morning in Pemuteran so you cannot do it on the day you arrive in Bali, but you can certainly spend the night in Pemuteran and snorkel Menjangan (must take a boat) the next morning. Finshing snorkeling early afternoon, then get transport to Gilimanuk and take the ferry over to Java and on to Ijen.

You would be better off hiring a driver to take you to Pemuteran since you are on a fairly tight schedule...airport taxis will not want to do this route I'm pretty sure..or even if they do their cars are not good cars for this route. From Pemuteran you can take one of the trequent bemos to Gilimanuk and from there arrange transport to Ijen.

Wondering, though...are you coming back to Bali later or are you not going to spend much time on Bali on this trip?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
201 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denpasar - Gilimanuk (Pemuteran?)

Thank you for your quick reply.

We will be on Bali for 4 days (in Ubud). After that we will go to the Gili's and Lombok and then we fly from there to Denpasar to travel to Java. The reason for this is that we absolutely want to visit Ijen. Otherwise we had booked a flight to Yogjakarta or something.

Do you have any idea how long it takes from Pemuteran to Gilimanuk by bemo or taxi?

We like the morning-snorkeling option at Menjangan but I am afraid it may take too much time if we need to go to Java after that? We will do snorkeling on the Gili's of course, but I heard Menjangan is different so it wouldn't hurt to see some underwater life there too.

I see most routes go over the north of Bali, though the road on the southside seems shorter (to Gilimanuk).

Which route is nicer/better/faster?

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
8,606 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denpasar - Gilimanuk (Pemuteran?)

From Pemuteran to Gilimanuk is about 45 minutes or so.

) I must say your trip criss crosses slighty...you go from (presumably) Denpasar airport to Ubud, then to Lombok and Gilies and then back to Denpasar, cross Ubud (central Bali) to get to Gilimanuk.... but if that's the way you have your trip structured then it's ok.

You CAN go by the western way from Denpasar through Negara and Jembrana to Gilimanuk, but that route is very dangerous because of all the trucks bringing supplies from Java at breakneck speeds. My friend who lives in Negara sees accidents every time she goes home. It's also quite far and can take you several hours..don't know exactly because I never take that route.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
201 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denpasar - Gilimanuk (Pemuteran?)

I know the criss cross but that was inevitable since we wanted to see Bali, Lombok and Java

Since Bali is in the middle....well, we either had to go left or right.

There are no major airlines flying on anything in Lombok and we did not want to take the risk by booking a lowcost airline flight from Denpasar when we arrive from Holland. We;ve had severe delays before and after 20 hours of travelling you just want to be done and not worry about another connecting flight.

Bali being in the middle makes it a bit complicated though...

Thanks for the warning about the western way...that does not sound like the option to go with!

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
201 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denpasar - Gilimanuk (Pemuteran?)

I was just thinking: maybe we could travel from Denpasar to Lovina on the first day.

Stay there and do the dolphin wathcing in the morning (I think you can easily book that on the day you arrive for the next morning?) and then after that travel to Gilimanuk and take the boat.

I think Lovina - Gilimanuk is about 3 hours drive? So I think we should be fine timewise.

If we then take the ferry to Java and find a place to stay there to go to Ijen the next morning ....I think that would be a realistic plan?

For the driver: can you arrange one at Denpasar airport or would you suggest arranging one while we are in Ubud and tell him to pick us up at Denpasar airport in 5 days?

6. Re: Denpasar - Gilimanuk (Pemuteran?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 05, 2014