We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do i need a voltage converter, or just a plug adapter?

Woodside, California
7 posts
Save Topic
Do i need a voltage converter, or just a plug adapter?

Hello! I know similar questions have been asked, but I am hoping someone can help me with this.

I am heading to Bali from the United States in a few days and will be bringing some electrical items with.

The most important will be my cell phone.

I also might have my iPod Nano and a hairdryer.

Specifically for the cell phone, will a plug adapter be good enough, or do I also need a voltage converter?

What about for the other items?

I am afraid of damaging my cell phone, but also don't want to buy/bring things I don't need.

Also, some posts in here said to wait until there to buy such things, but I'm wondering if there will be US compatible items, or if this is more for closer regions.

Thank you for any tips!

Allison :)

PERTH
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do i need a voltage converter, or just a plug adapter?

Indonesia has a very low voltage, just an adapter is good enough, I am currently plugged into the local power with my lap top now, no problem.

Edited: 9:39 am, April 09, 2013
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do i need a voltage converter, or just a plug adapter?

Hi Allison.

Indonesia has 220v 50 hz electricity supply.

The US normally has 110v 60hz, so things can get BBQd if they are plugged in inappropriately.

So leave the hair dryer at home, if you really want one, then buy a cheap one from somewhere like Carrefour (supermarket) after arrival. You might find a towel does the job for you in Indonesia anyway as it is generally quite warm.

If you do buy one, keep it for trips to other Asian countries (but not Japan), Australia, New Zealand and the EU, leave it in the hotel room or give it away. A hairdryer from Indonesia won't work in the US.

With the iPod you will find that most of the Applemac products have chargers/power-adapters with a 110v 60hz/220 50 hz supply range.

Look at the tiny print on the casing of the chargers/power-adapter.

Applemac normally describe it thus; "Input 110-240 ~(?)A 50-60 Hz"

If you find that then all you need is an adapter from the US 2 flat pins to the Euro-style Schuko 2 round pins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko

Without detail on your handfone it is hard to provide information.

However, if you have a fairly standard 'charger' then you will likely be OK.

Most are 110v 60hz/220 50 hz compatible.

Check that on your handset's chargers/power-adapter.

If it is only rated at 110v 60 hz and it is either a compact USB2 plug, or a (flatter) USB3 plug (at the phone end) then a suitable one can be purchased cheaply at any handfone shop in Bali. You may find it works for you in the US as well (with a socket adaptor).

Other models with small and larger round plugs (at the phone end) are also available.

Common chargers/power-adapter are not expensive to purchase in Indonesia.

What is the model and brand of your handfone?

Edited: 10:02 am, April 09, 2013
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,363 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do i need a voltage converter, or just a plug adapter?

Hi Alison: Your apple electronics and any tablets, phones etc are all fine. they are automatically set up for 110 and 220. You can easily buy the plug adapter here in Bali at a grocery store for very little money, or bring one from home. IIndonesia uses the round double plug. ....you can google it if you are unsure, but they are easy to find here anyway.

Your hair dryer, unless it specifically states dual voltage, is probably only 110 and will burn up literally as soon as you plug it in a 220, so don't bother bringing it. Also, you may not need it anyway, as Bali is so humid your hair will puff up ten minutes after you dry it :)

Woodside, California
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do i need a voltage converter, or just a plug adapter?

Thank you for the responses! :D

My cell phone is a Samsung Galaxy sIII.

What about battery chargers for rechargeable batteries for my camera (AA)? Is this in the same boat as the hair dryer?

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,363 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do i need a voltage converter, or just a plug adapter?

You should check the voltage on it. Should be fine..ikf you can't find a voltage sign, google the specs on it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do i need a voltage converter, or just a plug adapter?

Also bring a power board so you can have multiple things plugged in at the same time.

7. Re: Do i need a voltage converter, or just a plug adapter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 11, 2014