We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I a tad paranoid?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
478 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Am I a tad paranoid?

Last time I went to bali I wore my bling but decided to take it off and place my rings etc in the safe as I was worried about dodgy people stealing my gold from me. This time I am wondering if I was too over cautious last time and should just wear my wedding rings, watch etc and not be a walls? What are your thoughts? Am I a worry wart?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Am I a tad paranoid?

Hey Lexxy,

Mrs Mac just takes here rings.

Buy all fake stuff when you get there & they can rob you blind :>))

Cheers Mac

the Kimberley, West...
Level Contributor
817 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Am I a tad paranoid?

Leaving your jewellery at home would be a lot safer than taking it off and leaving it in the hotel safe. Discounting that it could get stolen; Its really easy to lose rings once they are off your fingers. Forgetting one because it slid under the safe lining or you left it on the sink is not unheard of.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
478 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Am I a tad paranoid?

Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I will wear my rings but buy some bling over there. I'm always up for shopping for bling :) and if it goes missing I wouldn't worry as there will be no sentimental value. Thanks again! Only two more sleeps!

Perth
Level Contributor
680 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Am I a tad paranoid?

Agree with all the others Lexxy!

My everyday watch at home, a gift from my boss, cost $3,500, the one I wear overseas cost $12.00 in Kmart!

I only wear my wedding ring, and like you, I feel naked without all my gold & diamonds, BUT the thought of losing any of them feels worse!

I do wear gold earings as I can't tolerate cheapies, they irritate too much.

I also feel like it would make me a target for theft & higher prices when haggling.

For your own peace of mind, lock them up at home!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Am I a tad paranoid?

I wear all my jewellery - including my 3ct diamond ring. I think it really depends where you walk at night and how drunk you get. My hubby is a big guy and the dodgiest place we walk at night is down poppies 1 going back to the hotel from dinner. If I was mugged I would hand them my cash and start screaming ,they would not get my jewellery with out a fight if I was pickpocketed they would not get the rings off my fingers without me noticing. I do leave my expensive watch at home because you take the watch off to swim and I don't want it stolen while I'm not watching.

Having said all that you need to do what is comfortable for you -if you are worried about your jewellery leave it at home.

16. Re: Am I a tad paranoid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 06, 2014