We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USD or IDR, Must do in Seminyak

Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
USD or IDR, Must do in Seminyak

Hi,

Will be goin there this sunday and i can't wait! anyways, i just wanna find out more, about carrying the different currencies. Is it better to have more USD rather than IDR?

Will be staying at The Kunthi in Seminyak, any opinions on this place? Is it really far from Laksmana and Oberoi? i read that these 2 are the must do places.

In terms of sightseeing, how far is it from Seminyak to the famous waterfalls, volcanoes etc? couple of hours drive at least?

Great shopping at Seminyak, which road has all the good shops etc and also Great chillout lounges? cheers all in advance :p

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USD or IDR, Must do in Seminyak

Hi!

If you're coming from Singapore, you can use Singapore dollars, or change to IDR when you're there. In that case, you don't have to lose out with the UD to IDR exchange rate. I find that they sometimes give a better rate if you pay in cash and if you pay with rupiahs.

I haven't seen The Kunthi personally, so I can't help you out there. I think we passed the sign for it - but that's not much help to you either....Hm.....Do let us know how it is when you get back.

As for Laksmana, well, that's just the (high end) food street and while food is not bad, the ambience there is nicer.

Seminyak is already an hour from Ubud and so definitely more than an hour and a half to the volcano and don't know which waterfall you're talking about?

Great shopping in Seminyak? Well dearie, get out your wallet and just walk the whole way from Seminyak to Kuta. Shops galore. Clothes, household stuff, surfer stuff, etc.....the things that are more expensive are in Seminyak.

Chillout lounges? Well, you might want to try KuDeTa, Not really a lounge per se, but nice to chill out there. It's just next to The Oberoi.

There are loads of nice places in Bali, Just walk and enjoy. You'll have a blast.... and hopefully, like many of us here, will be bitten by the BALI BUG which'll make you keep going back!

2. Re: USD or IDR, Must do in Seminyak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:57 am, May 09, 2006
Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USD or IDR, Must do in Seminyak

Cheers Jade and Myadventures..

MyAdv. mentioned the few waterfalls together with the Volcanoes i was thinking of. Are they worth the spending a day's trip to get there? cos we will only be there for 3 and a half days .So we want to really chill at the villa, indulge in a little spending at Laksmana and feast in Seminyak. This will be my second time in Bali, spent the first trip there with a group of Italians we met there and spent it lounging(kuta and Nusa dua), massage and too much clubbing (Kuta ...really loved it! we went to Hu Bar(if that name is accurate) in Seminyak which is next to this famous Italian restaurant which i cannot remember the name. absolutely loved it!

Need to ask about the designer shops in Seminyak, are the prices quoted in IDR or US? Also is it more expensive to book a driver from the hotel rather than booking Dean or Wayan as mentioned in other forums? cos if we do decide to make a trip to visit the natural sights, i would rather have a driver who really do wanna show and explain the place rather than someone who just drives...

MyAdv: does The Kunthi have the wow factor as a boutique hotel?

CHeerios both!!! counting down the days now!

Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USD or IDR, Must do in Seminyak

I just realised MyAdventures post has been deleted... could you kindly mention the few waterfalls again? Thks!

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USD or IDR, Must do in Seminyak

Hmmmmm, I don't which waterfalls were mentioned previously, but could it be Munduk or the one at Saba (near Ubud)? There's also one called the Yeh Mempeh, but that's in the north east.

You may want to try this link:

www.baliforum.com/travel/showthreaded.php…

Check out all the links at the lower half of the page for all the various waterfalls.

As for the volcano, was it Batur? At Kintamani? That's quite nice, it's cooler and when I went there in April, there weren't many tourists. The last time I was there was just before the first bombing and there were busloads of toursts!

If you liked Hu, then you'll like KuDeTa, The Living Room, etc. Lolas (Italian rest) is excellent as well.

Prices in Designer shops vary, Some are quoted in USD and some in IDR.

As for a driver, best to hire the driver yourself, agencies and hotels usually take a cut, and trust me, the cut is huge. I have seen it with my own eyes, when I saw the hotel/villa pay the same driver I had hired, almost half of what I paid them! The cash was given in front of me. I never hire a driver through anyone, I always go direct. This happened to me only once, when the lady of the villa wasn't happy that I got my own driver and so she made us pay extra as she wanted a cut from it. At that time, it was only my 2nd or 3rd trip to Bali, so I was still naive, but now I know better! Ha! :-P

Bali
Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: USD or IDR, Must do in Seminyak

Luckily I have read the post from Myadvantours before it got removed. Anyway, it mention the Gitgit waterfall on the way to Lovina and one at Munduk.

If you haven't seen bigger waterfall than it's worthed, but both at them need a little bit of walking to reach the waterfall. You could visit Gitgit together with Kintamani Volcano trip.

If timing is your main concern, then better visit the one at the small village of Nungnung, about 40 kilometers north of Denpasar, hosts a 50 meter high waterfall as well as expansive rice terraces, making it a scenic, 'off the beaten path' place to visit.

You do need to hire your own driver/car as scheduled excursion will not include this object, takes too long as most tourist group want to visit as many objects as possible in a day and as they are in agroup, so they mix the attractions : historical, culture, nature, shopping all in one shot.

Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USD or IDR, Must do in Seminyak

Cheers for all the great insights...whats the best way to hire my own driver who is pretty good other than Dean who must be pretty booked up by now..

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: USD or IDR, Must do in Seminyak

Hi,

Your best bet is to contact them directly.

You may want to try this link:

tripadvisor.com/…2972572

and this one as well:

tripadvisor.com/…3384593

Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: USD or IDR, Must do in Seminyak

Nice Jade.. was thinking of gettin a bottle of liquor for the my stay there, do you reckon i should get it at duty free or in bali itself? is it easy to get liquor at the convenience store especially in Seminyak knowinbg all the really nice lounges and bars are around :p 2 more day and i will be there!! wicked! Will update you on the hotel.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: USD or IDR, Must do in Seminyak

HI,

The waterfall at Nungnung sounds lovely. Will have to pay it a visit in July. Thanks for the tip.

We went to Gitgit waterfall in March last year. It was a highlight of our trip (one of many). THe local people at Gitgit were really suffering after the first bombing, so now it must just be aweful for them. If you have the time to visit Gitgit, hire a local guide to take you to the waterfall, it's helps their local economy (the area is run by a co-operative so each guide pays part of his fee to the co-op).

It's a bit a a trek but not too strenuous. Along the way the guide will show you some of the really unusual trees and fauna, as well as a small rice terrace.

What ever you decide to do I know you'll have a great time.