We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

indohaven - disappeared with my payment of $3100

Perth
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Topic
indohaven - disappeared with my payment of $3100

It has been 100% verified that Indohaven run by Thea has done a bunk with my familiy's hard earned cash which we gave them as payment for a villa in Seminyak. The villa was $4500 in total, the villa owner has received $1400. We have come to an agreemnet with the villa owner which is not great but what can we do, due to go in 3 days.

Beautful huh? Leaves anasty taste in my mouth.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
527 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: indohaven - disappeared with my payment of $3100

Oh no. Im so sorry that has happened to you, its awful :/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: indohaven - disappeared with my payment of $3100

OMG, that certainly is awful, maybe you can recover the money lost from your travel insurance?

I hope you have a wonderful holiday despite the ugly start! I wish you all the best!

Perth
Level Contributor
818 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: indohaven - disappeared with my payment of $3100

That's horrible. Can you make a police report when you get to Bali or get it back on travel insurance? I do hope you get your money back.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,912 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: indohaven - disappeared with my payment of $3100

How did you pay?. If it was by credit card or paypal you have a chance of 'recovering' your hard earned cash.

Direct deposit is not recommended. I hope you can somehow get your money back with your travel insurance or financial institution.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: indohaven - disappeared with my payment of $3100

Hi Smithereens

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's a very nasty way to start your holiday. I'm so glad though that you have been able to come to some arrangement with the villa owner and that at least you have somewhere to stay.

I hope you have a good holiday despite all this happening to you.

Cheers

Perth
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: indohaven - disappeared with my payment of $3100

Hi Snooky, do you know anything about pay pal, do they cover this sort of thing?

we paid with pay pal, but can not speak to any body til monday, and the insurance company is closed til tomorrow. i don't think the insurance company would cover it??

yes, will have to deal with police when we get there. Great!

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: indohaven - disappeared with my payment of $3100

Paying for services or goods with PayPal is generally secure and has a purchase protection scheme that covers you against fraud for up to to 45 days. This may well not be long enough, but if your PayPal account is linked to a credit card such as Visa, the card issuer is liable for the fraud – as long as you don't "load" your PayPal account with money debited to the card before you pay for the villa.

M There is a lot to read but maybe go into the Paypal site and read what they say is protection cover.

https://cms.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/…

Edited: 6:07 am, December 29, 2012
Perth
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: indohaven - disappeared with my payment of $3100

Hi Linda 52, that info is very helpful and makes me feel much better, it is a lot to take in, it is very frustrating that we have to wait til Monday, but hopefully we can recoup our losses at some point.

Best thing now is to push on and enjoy the holiday.

Maybe we will win lotto tonight!!!! Even a small win would be nice. LOL!

Golden Beach...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: indohaven - disappeared with my payment of $3100

PayPal do not cover vouchers or gift cards or the like...I know as I have delt with Paypal over a holiday ripoff, we were ripped off a week before going away in Oct, the person who received our money is here in Australia however we are getting no where in getting our two thousand back. we are taking it to court but not sure if that will help get our money back, it may stop someone else from being ripped off...I do hope your situation brings a positive outcome with Paypal.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: indohaven - disappeared with my payment of $3100

Oh Dear.

I would suggest going into their office as you are going to have a hell of a time here getting police to listen to you unless you have tried personally to work it out.

Do not get angry, stay calm, the only way to deal with things in Indonesia is in a calm manner, they do not like complaints, it is not done here.

Ask nicely for your money back and try to personally talk to the person you were dealing with, if you do not get a result, calmly take a photo of her and say calmly you will be back with the police.

You will need to pay the police to attend on your behalf. Generally police do not like matters like this, a lot are sorted out through local Banjars, but you will need to contact the tourist police as they are the only ones that are supposed to help tourists.

good luck, I hope it all ends well for you