We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR Kuta/Candi Dasa

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
JBR Kuta/Candi Dasa

It was now day 3 and we were off to Candi Dasa, our hotel, Pondok Bambu had a driver pick us up and during the drive we talked about what we wanted to do and how much he charged and by the time we had arrived at Candi we were had organized for him to drive us.So thanks TA for all my research paid off and we knew roughly what we should be paying and he turned out to be fantastic,very professional and we think well priced.

So I hadnt been to CD for nearly 20yrs but it still did look and feel familiar. We were very happy with PondokBambu, the family room is near the road so a little noisy but even though we had the little ones it didnt bother us.We found all the staff very friendly and when we ate at the restaurant(more by the pool)the food was greatYou can access the beach and snorkel or the little ones could play at the little beach.For the price we think its a great bargain but I think I would still like to try other resorts just to compare...

So our 1st full day was a day to rest, but the next day we organized Bali Safari&Marine Park as miss3 had been talking about riding elephants for a few weeks leading up to our trip?? and miss11&miss3 were pretty excited. We chose a package that was roughly in US$ adults $99 kids $89, it might sound pricey but included photos,food,elephant ride& more....It was a hot day so being able to stop and swim is fantastic and we realised getting there at 11 is too late as we really didnt get to see it all but the kids had a ball and MrP&I agreed it was fantastic.

We had another day of rest, and planned to meet my friend who is living here at White Sands Beach the next day.

Our driver picked us up at 10 and we headed to Tirta Gangga for a little wander which is very beautiful and you can also swim.I stayed mainly in the shady areas with miss1 whilst the others wandered but I did get some fantastic photos and miss1 made a friend.

We then headed to Jasri to Chocolate&Soap Factory as MrP&I are huge choc lovers, now I had read that some were disappointed or I think found the owner rude but our visit was almost magical, it is a dirt,very bumpy track to here, but the buildings are amazing, our driver when I asked if he could take us had laughed and said all the aussies loved to go there so he does go a lot,and he introduced us to the people that worked there they showed us where they made the soap, then showed us the chocs, the staff noticed us then outside checking out the swing(it has to be seen)They encouraged us all to have a swing which miss11&MrP took them up on.It is a very beautiful spot,we noticed a surfer cycle down then head down the beach to where others were surfing,like I said some havnt liked it but we thought it was well worth the visit and everyone there very friendly.Then off to White Sands Beach... of course our driver had a friend with a stall there but we didnt mind him taking us there.Miss3 was asleep for most of this adventure but miss11 spent the entire time in the water(except briefly for some seafood)The water wasnt really suitable for little ones but miss1 and when miss3 awoke they still managed to enjoy themselves.Another great spot, we did not find anybody too pushy, and we all chilled, I think I forced MrP&miss11 to leave.I think the drive back to Candi Dasa was maybe 20mins and after a quick shower we headed off to The Dining Room for dinner which was very nice and cheap.

At this point I should say how fantastic the balinese are with children,and eating out can be a hard task but most of the restaurants would amuse the little ones whilst we ate.

The next day was our last full day and we had sent an email to Mr Ady who runs the English classes at Bugbug, we all went and had an excellent time and miss11 who was a little 'shy' whilst there has talked about it a lot since back. If you are in CD and can spare a few hrs in the afternoon then give it a go, we had fun...it wasnt hard just talking with the kids... That finished at 5 so we then headed for an early dinner at AlamAsmara which was lovely watching the sunset and great food again. A swim then bed.

Flew out with no dramas we found it really stressfree even though we had little ones,miss11 had a slight funny tummy on the 2nd last day and who knows what that was as we pretty much all shared or tasted each others food.... a fantastic driver which I think makes a huge difference...no huge ripoffs anywhere(well only once with MrP).... so thanks again TA for sharing all of your adventures so I had some info to help us enjoy our very own adventure :)

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,005 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR Kuta/Candi Dasa

Glad you enjoyed your time Candidasa and visits to Jasri and the soap and chocolate factory...that swing is seriously scary. My husband has surfed at the point at Jasri, but getting in and out can be a bit precarious, as it is a rocky bottom and pretty slippery.

Pleased you enjoyed your time with Mr Ady and the children at the Bugbug English classes.

Thanks for your report.

Edited: 4:57 am, December 04, 2012
Adelaide
Level Contributor
573 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR Kuta/Candi Dasa

Sounds like your having a good time. I have never been to Candi Dasa. Must take time to go there.

Thanks for sharing.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
248 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR Kuta/Candi Dasa

Great report thanks for sharing.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
771 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR Kuta/Candi Dasa

Thank you so much for your jbr. You have brought back some wonderful memories. We went to c.d for the first time in oct and loved the place immensely. We too did a day trip to tirta Ganga with a stop at the soap and chocolate factory. We also thought is was a magical spot but understand how some can be disappointed as we in australia are use to the boutique style of chocolate factories. At the sop section, there was a little baby asleep in a hammock under the table, each lady taking turns to rock . How awesome is that swing! We also found white sandy beach a bit rough for kids. But of course us adults piggy them out to enjoy the wonderful sea. How did you go shopping? Thanks again for taking me down memory lane

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR Kuta/Candi Dasa

Hi Nocole,

Thanks for sharing your family holiday with us.

Very enjoyable!!

Cheers Mac

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
763 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR Kuta/Candi Dasa

Thanks for your jbr. I hope to check out CD with my girls next year. Glad you all had a great holiday.

:)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR Kuta/Candi Dasa

Sounds like you are having a great holiday.

Enjoy Candi Dasa and i am looking forward to your report.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR Kuta/Candi Dasa

We are back home now and MrP is keen to go back and for sure CD will be included again.I do wonder why it took me nearly 20yrs to go back as I have always loved it since my 1st visit over 30 yrs ago(I was 9) and will try to explore more on future visits.

We didnt shop, only a few little things for the nieces&nephews, and mainly at the fixed price shops of foto asri,family shop and gemini.I did find that somethings in gemini seemed like seconds or moth holes but heh its Bali....

This holiday was just about spending some family time together as MrP has been working away and though I wasnt sure about how miss1&miss3 would be Bali proved to be the perfect choice for everyone especially with the way the Balinese love small children we felt the kids had a really special adventure.

At the soap factory their little ones were sleeping(same thing Maurs_hunny)and so was miss1 but the kids did have great moments meeting other children even just walking the CD strip.

Now to start planning our next trip....

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR Kuta/Candi Dasa

A great holiday had by you Nicole, with some lovely local adventures thrown in. The chocolate and soap factory sounds interesting, was it far from White Sand Beach?

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR Kuta/Candi Dasa

No it wasnt far, it felt like it took longer to drive the dirt track down to the beach than the driving time to the turn off for White Sand Beach(does that make sense) I would say 20 minutes, I am sure someone will correct me if wrong, it really didnt seem that long at all.