We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali Belly

Peregian Beach...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bali Belly

We are in Nusa Lembogan and I have Bali belly. I did all the preventative and now trying to cure with charcoal, acidophilus and every thing else people have recommended like coke, coffee and now wondering if I should go to doctor, which I would prefer not too. Please any suggestions as I don't want this to go on much longer

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali Belly

How long has it been going on for? I unfortunately got it on my first trip (so did DH) and it only lasted a day and a half. We just stayed in the hotel room for the duration.

I actually had it worse in England (lol, not called Bali Belly!) in 2011 and was out for the count for about 4 days!

Edited: 8:03 pm, October 10, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali Belly

Really for a doctor should say but if you think you need one you probably do :).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,657 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali Belly

I have actually got Aussie Belly at the moment and it has taken over 36 hrs to start feeling a little better.I would recommend you get the Dr and get a Maxalon injection so that you can again enjoy your holiday.

Good luck,

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali Belly

Go to the doctor and get the injection, there is no point suffering when you don't have to.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali Belly

I got it on my last trip to Bali and it lasted 5 days. I took Imodium and all of the probiotics but still had it for that long.

Hindsite I should have gone to the hospital or doctor as it was 5 days of non enjoyment!!

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
254 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali Belly

Go to doctor, I had BB for the first time in Bali - went to Dr's and started feeling better within hours - no injections just tablets and medicine, only had 36 hrs downtime.

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali Belly

Wow, we must have been lucky with only the day and a half!

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali Belly

Rest and drink plenty of fluids but avoid coffee or carbonated drinks such as coke, they will not assist at all.

In your condition is is not sufficient to maintain fluid levels alone, you must ensure a correct level of essential salts are also being replenished.

If you cannot readily access some proprietary rehydration salts from an Apotik (pharmacy) or supermarket then you can readily make do with ingredients found in any Indonesian kitchen or many roadside warungs.

It is very important to get the balance of the mix right though.

A basic oral rehydration therapy solution can be formulated yourself by using:

30 ml (6 level tsp) of sugar

2.5 ml (1/2 level tsp) of salt,

Dissolve this into 1 litre (4.25 Cups) of clean water (boiled or bottled).

Then eat a couple of bananas so sufficient potassium is also present.

Consume this with vigour if diarrhea or vomiting is depleting you of liquid.

Mixing with a rice water or coconut water is quite acceptable.

Coconut water is both sterile, and potassium rich so will replace or compliment banana if the person does not want to eat a banana or two.

Ideally seek out a proprietary packet of rehydration salts or a mix containing:

3.5 gms sodium chloride

2.9 gms trisodium citrate dihydrate (or 2.5 gms sodium bicarbonate)

1.5 gms potassium chloride

20 gms glucose (anhydrous)

Coconut water from a fresh coconut is good to drink instead of just water, don't let anyone add sugar syrup to it though, it should be perfectly OK as is from the coconut.

Ask the people at your hotel to provide you with some bubur, a local rice porridge, this is better to eat than most things if you are unwell, perhaps add some sliced banana and some honey if it is plain bubur.

The only reliable way of working out what is going on is in a laboratory, so in absence of that things are guesswork as to your complaint arising from bacterial infection, a viral infection or a fungal infection.

Do not self medicate with antibiotics or other pharmaceutical formulations unless specifically instructed to do so by a medical professional.

As you don't have any idea of the actual nature of the pathogen you can similarly have no idea of a suitable medication.

Dehydration is one of the most concerning and most frequent outcomes and is generally what causes the most medical problems, and it is the single most likely issue to delay your quick recovery.

It is commonly overlooked and seriously underestimated by many sufferers, not just those suffering from GI issues but in association with a broad range of travel maladies.

If the problem endures for more than a few days without improving, or is causing you alarm, or you have a prolonged high fever or other symptoms develop then you should go see a doctor.

Generally a persons own immune system will take care of this sort of thing in a few days, so long as your fluid levels are properly maintained as outlined above.

Edited: 8:47 pm, October 10, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali Belly

Actually Coca Cola (flattened) does contain small amounts of potassium and can be effective for fluid replacement in these circumstances. An old trick from my days of nursing Childrens wards before the invent of gastrolyte replacements.

If you can get your hands on Pocari Sweat 3 or 4 cans of this per day will also help alot to replace lost electorlytes.

Maroochydore...
Level Contributor
607 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali Belly

Go to the Doctor. There is a hospital in the village.