We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to dive in Bali

Auckland Central...
5 posts
Save Topic
Best place to dive in Bali

I will be staying in Seminyak for approximately one week and then winging my stay in Bali for the second week and was wondering where would be a beautiful diving spot in Bali?

I'm hoping to see sting rays and fingers crossed sharks too. Any recommendations with a PADI dive centre would be greatly appreciated.

p.s: I'm a fairly new diver having only just become certified

Checiny, Poland
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to dive in Bali

this is the best site in east bali; Bloolagoon, tepekong island,amed, tulamben,

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to dive in Bali

Talumben (near Amed) is a good place for beginner divers as you can do an interesting wreck dive at the LIberty wreck, just walking in off the beach.

Menjangan Island in NW Bali (nearest town: Pemuteran) is lovely shallow and calm diving as well. Highly recommended. Kokak dive is a Balinese owned PADI centre, lovely calm divemasters and instructors. There are other centres there as well with European/western dive masters too.

People will mention Lembongan and Nusa Penida to you as being closer to Seminyak, but please be aware that currents there can be strong, and it is not necessarily a good or safe place for beginner divers. Recently divers have died there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to dive in Bali

That's such a tough call :). As you only have a week you wil also want to miimise travel time. The places mentioned by newgabe are all awesome. I'll just add a bit. Plus one other.

Tulamben diving the Libery Wreck, Coral Garden and Wall are beautiful. If the seas are a bit rough it can be a hassle getting out but in saying that your guide will help you get in and out. They will really look after you. I stayed at Blue Hill Resort Tulamben and have nothing but rave reviews for them. All aspects went above and beynd expectations.

Menjangan Island is special. Definitely the pick of dive spots in Bali but it is a long way from Seminyak.

I will mention Lembongan and a company called World Dive who I too recently did my Open Water Cert with and reviewed if interested. Also yes there can, will be some dive spots with really strong currents. I love strong currents. You don't have to do anything just drift along. How this isn't everyones favourite way to dive is beyond me :). Saying people have died there recently sounds like something you hear in Australian news papers. Good one. I dived at Crystal Bay the day after the people died. It happens, people die all the time, very sad though. At Lembongan etc you will see sharks and Manta rays especially if you spend a few days there.

Also a spot worth mentioning is a place called Flores. About a 1 hour flight, you land in a town called Labuan Bajo which is on the edge of Komodo National Park. Here is one of the premier dive sites in the World which caters for all levels. I can honestly say I was blown away by the shear size and variety of the place. Its like Menjagan island times 100. Amazing.

Fremantle
Level Contributor
136 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to dive in Bali

Strong currents are for experienced divers ONLY, plus they require extra planning, because if you miss your exit point you can be in serious trouble.

Please be cautious if you dive in an area with strong currents as you indicate that you are not an experienced diver. If you choose to dive in strong currents, make sure the boat operator knows how long you will be down ( depth, current, fitness and experience can have significant impact on how long your air lasts).

I am not suggesting that dive masters are not safety conscious, but make sure you have a sausage with a whistle ( a bright coloured tube that you inflate to make you easier to spot), because whilst you may see the boat, they may not be able to see you. Make sure the boat operator knows that you have the sausage.

Yes accidents do happen, but experience lessens the risk of an accident. Currents increase the risk.

Newgabe's advice is worth taking note of.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to dive in Bali

Another great place is Gili T, an island of Lombok about 1.5 hr boat ride from Sanur, beautiful white sandy beaches and crystal clear water, you will see all sorts of sea life and all dive spots are close to the island. We stay at Manta Dive and the team there look after us like royalty, we are off on our 3rd dive trip there in 2 weeks time.

Auckland Central...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to dive in Bali

Thank you all for your suggestions. All valued and greatly appreciated! I have alot of planning to do now!

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to dive in Bali

Any good dive centre would not take you to a dive site that was above your level of qualification, comfort and experience.

Try some of the easier dive sites like Blue Lagoon in Padang Bai, or, as already mentioned Tulamben, which has easy diving but a difficult shore entry. Choose a dive centre which takes the time to talk to you, answering all your concerns and questions, doesn't rush you into booking the more extreme dive sites, not necessarily a PADI centre as there are also many SSI dive centres here in Bali.

PM me for info or email the guys at Bali Bubbles on sales@bali-bubbles.com

8. Re: Best place to dive in Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, December 15, 2013