We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pensioner living in bali

perth wa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
pensioner living in bali

i am pensiopner wanted to live in bali b ut i have been told you can,t get your pension while you are living in bali new law now you have to come back to australia after 6 weeks it use to be 13 weeks but now is 6 weeks no way you can live in bali and central link will still pay you .....? please advice

Mijas, Spain
Level Contributor
857 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pensioner living in bali

You need to apply for a "visa lansia", i.e. a retired persons visa. Read here:

http://www.expat.or.id/info/retirement.html

I have held such a visa for eight years by now.

Theo

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: pensioner living in bali

Sam - I could be wrong but I thought the new 6 week rule was for Disability Pensioners.

I also think income from a pension alone is enough to satisfy the Indo requirments.

You need to speak to Centrelink first - I think if you need to be overseas for medical or compassionate reasons there are exceptions

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pensioner living in bali

really good info on that link Theo thanks

cheers john

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,564 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pensioner living in bali

You really need to get the definitive answer from CentreLink for this one, it's too important to leave to random strangers.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pensioner living in bali

Hi sam a, Yes, the rules have changed. Have a look at Centrelink website though it is not user friendly in my opinion. You must discuss it with a Centrelink officer to get the correct information. This forum is really not the right place for this type of question.

Canberra
Level Contributor
127 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pensioner living in bali

The new rules apply to "The Government Pension" not superanuation pensions, If your pension is self funded (no govenrment top up) they are classed as self funded and you can travel how you feel. Unfortuantly the government can tell you how and where you can take "its" pension. IE 6 weeks max

But as fameNsw said, speak to Centrelink and get all the facts first hand

Good luck with it

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pensioner living in bali

You really need to check with centre link. These new rules sparked my attention after budget announced. I'm sure when I dug deep into the BS of this ruling it wasn't so clear. There were exemptions applied, something like if you have been a permanent resident/ Australian Citizen for 35 years plus the ruling does not apply. But you really need clarification from Centelink.

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pensioner living in bali

The Centrelink web site is useless. A lot depends on which pension you are on. Different pensions have different rulings.

A rule stated by someone can therefore be the incorrect ruling for someone else.

Tillywilly is correct. The 6 week ruling is for disability pensions. However this only applies to a disability pension granted after a certain date.

You can come here on the aged pension once it has been granted.

Theo is a bit incorrect in stating that you "need" to apply for a retired persons visa. You do not "need" to do so. However I also have one because it suits my purpose.

The spouse visa is of course a lot cheaper.

Many of my friends happily return to Australia every 6 months and therefore find it cheaper to use the 211 visa.

This also has the advantage of renewing their travel insurance by using certain credit cards to pay for their ticket.

Also be aware that if you retire early and go back to Australia to get the aged pension, you have to then live there for 2 years. The fact that you may still be paying tax there means nothing.

I fall into that category and when I eventually turn 66 am expected to return to Australia for 2 years. After living in Indonesia for 21 years I can not see that happening.

There are many different rules and regulations with variables. The folk at Centre link will even give you incorrect answers.

I live in Sanur, there are a lot of retirees scattered around the place. Maybe during your next visit here contact me. I will introduce you to a few people who are already living here on the aged pension.

They will tell you stories based on actual experiences.

perth wa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: pensioner living in bali

i have been living in australia for 33years i am 66 years on april 2013 still working part time and not geting any pension payment ,if i want to retired in bali do i have to wait another two years to get my pension in bali .please let me know if you can ,thank you.........

Edited: 9:05 am, February 03, 2013
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,564 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pensioner living in bali

Sam, as I said before, random strangers on a travel forum are not the people to ask important questions like this. You need to discuss it with someone at Centrelink. Only they can give you the right answer.