We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging Money - Help!

Level Contributor
37 posts
Exchanging Money - Help!

Hello,

I'm travelling from London to Bali next week and not sure what the best thing is to do in regards to exchanging money. I am planning to exchange some money before I go in case of emergencies and then just sort out the rest when i get there... however i'm finding that its best to carry US dollars rather than UK Pounds? Is this true? will i have a problem exchanging Pounds there?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,081 posts
311 reviews
1. Re: Exchanging Money - Help!

just take your own currency, UK pounds are easily exchanged in Bali. many of us have taken US$ for the visa on arrival as there were problems in the past with currency conversions for this but things have greatly improved. There are a few places that accept US$ in Bali but really rupiah is what you need and it is better to exchange your pounds to rupiah in Bali. There are money exchangers at the airport just b4 you exit the terminal. exchange a small amount here to get you started and pay for your taxi.

remember to take undamaged notes and read the information on the right hand side of this page about money changers.

Kalgoorlie...
Level Contributor
436 posts
126 reviews
2. Re: Exchanging Money - Help!

If your bank allows, check as ATMs are great for cash too- they will dispense around 200000 rp in most cases ( about $190 USD ) which is plenty for a day

Our bank usually charges a small fee for withdrawals, but if you are worried about changers, ATMs are the go- they are everywhere too in the touristy spots!

Have fun!

Paul

Kalgoorlie...
Level Contributor
436 posts
126 reviews
3. Re: Exchanging Money - Help!

Sorry I meant 2,000,000 rp Not 200,000 rp from the ATMs

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Exchanging Money - Help!

My blog may help you.

The number of 000 000 000 can be confusing.

Check out the advice top right of Bali forum page.

…blogspot.com/2010/11/bali-tips-weather-mone…

Kalgoorlie...
Level Contributor
436 posts
126 reviews
5. Re: Exchanging Money - Help!

LOL, yes we are all millionaires in Bali!

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Exchanging Money - Help!

Thats why we are going there!!! Cant wait to be a millionaire for a week LOL

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Exchanging Money - Help!

We have learnt from past experience to get a few hundred USD before we go as a lot of the tourist places charge entry fees in USD and when you try to use a credit card they will break out the calculator and give you a really poor exchange rate then charge the card in IDR.

Its not a big deal to grab a small amount of USD in any case, but for everything else we just change our AUD at money changers that are everywhere.

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Exchanging Money - Help!

thks for that, so these places dont accept IDR?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
1 review
9. Re: Exchanging Money - Help!

cash is gold in bali better rate .

yes all shops /resturants accept cash rupiah

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Exchanging Money - Help!

Yes everywhere will accept IDR, the catch is that if you go to the safari park, the zoo etc.etc. all entry fees are USD based and then they convert to IDR at their rate (never a good rate).

If you have a few people (like kids) at each place the difference really starts to add up with poor conversions.

Maybe thats just me...I am an accountant and have a thing about getting ripped off by poor exchange rates, hahaha