We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Card Exchange Rate Vs Cash

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
90 reviews
Credit Card Exchange Rate Vs Cash

Checked my bill and the Credit Card exchange rate was always a little better than cash on the day. Not enough to worry about it, but it's still good to know.

When the cash rate was 8625, the c.c. was 8800, and that 150-200 baht difference was consistent as the rate changed eg when the cash rate was 8850, the card was just over 9,000. The ATM rate was also better than cash by about the same margin. As I used the 28 Degree card, there were no other fees, so still better overall than cash.

Even so, I preferred using cash. It was a bit of interest changing cash daily, and tracking the change. Especially as it only went up during my stay ;) .

Edited: 9:44 pm, October 16, 2011
carnarvon western...
Level Contributor
150 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Credit Card Exchange Rate Vs Cash

I have always found the rate is better at ATM's but am now a bit wery of using them overseas in some ATM's.

My son didnt remove his cash fast and it reversed back into the machine.

I was lucky enough that the bank (ANZ) honoured the amount and gave it back to him.

This time I am taking more cash but keeping the credit card just in case :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Credit Card Exchange Rate Vs Cash

Ive found previously that our cash rate using our CBA Visa is usually better than street price. This was also the case in Phuket and Honkers.

3. Re: Credit Card Exchange Rate Vs Cash

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, October 27, 2012