We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali Visa on arrival and departure tax

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Bali Visa on arrival and departure tax

So its getting pretty close to my big adventure in Bali by myself

can someone please tell me about the visa on arrival

I have searched online and this site and only see info about it costing us$25 do you have to pay in US$s ?? I was planning on exchanging my aus$s when I got to Kuta but Do I have to have some to pay for my visa ??

I have read posts about the departure tax so I'm aware that I have to make sure I have enough local currency for that

This is only the 2nd time I have travelled OS and my first time by myself so any advise would be most welcome !!

and I have posted before about spending money :-) Aus $2000 for 10 days will be plenty right ??

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
290 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali Visa on arrival and departure tax

There's many previous posts on this but it is probably easiest to get US$25 per person before you join your flight from your destination.

As you come into the immigration hall in Bali you'll see the immigration counters around to your right. It is probably best for the rest of your party to continue to the queues there.

The VOA counter is straight ahead on the left or runway side as you enter the immigration hall and is surprisingly easy to miss.

Just go to any window with multiples of US$25 (other currencies are also possible but US$ are the least hassle) and get the required VOA's and join your friends in the immigration line.

Hopefully you won't be there long - just be prepared after you clear immigration that your bags won't necessarily be anywhere you'd expect and don't rely on signage telling you which carousel to collect from. They are likely to have already been removed from the carousel and sitting neatly in lines of luggage that has similarly been removed whilst you've been negotiating immigration.

Probably best to be forewarned.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali Visa on arrival and departure tax

Don't waste your time effort and money exchanging Australian dollars for US dollars to pay for visa on arrival at Denpasar airport. We went to Bali in Sept 2010 and paid $30 AUD and again in January 2011 and paid $27AUD for our VOA. With the current parity of US and Australian dollars I reckon you will pay $25 Aussie. They are quite happy to take AUD.

Departure tax is 150,000 Rupiah that you have to pay in Rupiah.

Just take Australian dollars and exchange at reputable money changers in Bali. You will get a much better rate there than in Australia at banks or Travelex.

Also look into getting a 28 Degrees MasterCard it has no foreign exchange fees and is free to apply for. If you load it up with your own money, there are no ATM charges in Bali when you make a withdrawal.

Hope this helps and have a great holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
London
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali Visa on arrival and departure tax

I'm also arriving in Bali soon. Do they accept British pounds for VOA? Is it not necessary for me to change my pounds into dollars?

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali Visa on arrival and departure tax

For help with VOA, departure tax, currency and many other frequently asked questions about Bali look at the right hand side of the bali forum home page. We have put together a lot of helpful information which you should read before traveling to bali.

T B
Paris, France
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali Visa on arrival and departure tax

Hello,

I will be arriving in Bali in the next few days and have not yet decided exactly how long I will be staying or where my next destination will be. Do I need to show an outward bound ticket when obtaining my visa or is it sufficient to have a ticket back to Europe from a neighbouring country?

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,380 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali Visa on arrival and departure tax

Hello TB and welcome to the Bali forum. You don't need to show your ticket when obtaining your visa on arrival, or when going through the immigration process; you just hand the VOA money over at the counter, get a voucher, then take the voucher, passport and immigration card and join the immigration queue.

Usually the ticket checks are done at the check in at your country of embarkation.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
T B
Paris, France
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali Visa on arrival and departure tax

Thank you for the prompt reply!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali Visa on arrival and departure tax

Does anyone know how long the visa is for when going to Bali? I will be doing a stopover for one night then onto KL. Then on my return trip I will be doing another overnight stopover. Do I need to get another visa for the return trip or will the visa entering Bali cover me for my return trip.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali Visa on arrival and departure tax

The visa is a 30day visa and yes you will need on on each arrival im affraid as you are going to be re entering the country.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali Visa on arrival and departure tax

the VOA you pay for when you arrive in bali is for 30 days. there used to be a 7 day visa which was cheaper but this no longer exists. You have to pay departure tax when you leave of 150,000rp to go to KL. you will also pay another departure tax of 150,000rp when you leave the second time.

Edited: 1:45 am, September 26, 2011