We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

operating atm's in Bali

sydney
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
operating atm's in Bali

Hi all,

travelling to Bali in 2 weeks and taking some cash plus an NAB card and a cash passport cash to withdraw cash from ATM's. I heard that the way you operate the ATM's over there is different to Australia. Do you just key in your PIN, select account,amount and then OK or is there some other procedure to follow? Any answers would be appreciated.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: operating atm's in Bali

They are just same as in Australia apart from the fact that most will not prompt you to remove your card like they do here. You have to be careful not to walk away and leave your card there.

The rest is simple just choose the Engligh option unless you can read Indonesian, LOL

Perth
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: operating atm's in Bali

They are the same. you will have no trouble

3. Re: operating atm's in Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:22 am, November 04, 2010
Woy Woy, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: operating atm's in Bali

The only obvious difference is that the fees associated with using an ATM in Bali will be much higher than using an ATM here. If I'm not wrong it's about $5 per transaction.

wollongong
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: operating atm's in Bali

hi we were there in august and each time i used the cba machines they would give me my cash but not my card i had to wait till it timed out and then pressed the appropriate button and then i got card back. it was a bit of a worry the first time it happened, so just be aware of it cheers

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: operating atm's in Bali

From above posts seems that the ATMs in Oz operate similar to Europe. First time I used them in Bali a few years it was the giving of the money first before returning card that got me. Nearly walked away because always so used to getting money last.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: operating atm's in Bali

Yep, this is definitely something to be careful about.

Met some people tonight who had lost their card like this... and had no cash at all and found their credit card had expired! And they spent the last of their cash on phoning their banks who were totally unhelpful....

Luckily they'd started chatting to a friend who lives here, so we arranged that they will pay her Oz bank account by internet banking tonight, and she can give them rupiah from her local bank account- avoiding fees and getting them sorted out quickly.. Moral of the story- if in trouble- find someone who lives here! Us cynical old expats can come in handy...

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: operating atm's in Bali

Ah yes, and ATMs have either 50,000 or 100,000 written at the top. That is what notes they dispense. It seems that 30 is the maximum number of notes the machines give out, as the ones marked 50,000 give out 1,500,000 max in one transaction, and the ones marked 100,000 give 3 million (less common- Pertama bank ATMs often do) You don't always get these amounts given as options and need to press 'other amount'

Brisbane
Level Contributor
75 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: operating atm's in Bali

Do you already have your Cash Passport? The fees are quite expensive (cost to buy the card, lower exchange rate, fee each time you use an ATM plus a % of the amoutn you withdraw). I researched it in depth and found that there is an ANZ travel card that was cheaper.

DO remember not to leave the ATM without your card (I even put a post it note reminder on my card as I've almost lost it in the past).

Alhaurin el Grande...
Level Contributor
855 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: operating atm's in Bali

It really depends on what bank's ATM you use.

We always look for a BCA machine (Bank Central Asia). These return your card before issuing the banknotes. Maximum 25 notes, so Rp 1,250,000 if the notes are Rp 50,000 and Rp 1,000,000 with Rp 100,000 notes.

Theo