We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever

Perth, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dengue Fever

Just returned from Bali in April 2010 having been hospitalized with dengue fever for 8 days after feeling really unwell with flu like aches in all my joints and headache and then fever I contacted the doctor at the hotel where we stayed in Sanur he arranged a blood test and after a few hours phoned me at the hotel to say I must go into hospital as the blood test confirmed I had dengue hemmorrige fever not knowing much about it I asked if I could fly back to Australia he said no it would be to dangerous as I could internally bleed well that was enough to frighten me and do as he said. I went by taxi to Kasih Ibu hospital where the doctor had phoned ahead on arriving I went to the international wing where I was taken to the emergency department they put me on an IV drip and took another blood sample after a while I was taken to a private room where I stayed for the next 8 days. I would like to let people no that the staff and doctor were great I felt I was looked after very well and if wasn't for the hotel doctors quick action I could have been at a real risk. So Kasih Ibuh Hospital Denpasar I can now recommend. Just a note regarding dengue fever while I was in the hospital I was told that 50% in the hospital had dengue so be warned use plenty of mozzie spray.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,020 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Fever

Thanks MR for this report back to us. So pleased you are well again. Also wonderful to hear how well you were looked after.

I have to say, that we've had the same experience with Balinese doctors, when we have had need to call for one whilst in Bali. They have been very caring and professional.

Take good care and stay well.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Fever

Thanks very much for the info. Unfortunately this year has been extremely bad for dengue fever so your warning should be heeded by everyone. It is a real threat.

Hope you make a quick recovery.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue Fever

And as has been mentioned on other threads on the subject here..

it;s the daytime mossies you need to guard against....

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
917 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue Fever

Hope you are on the mend now! Scary, how things can turn so bad quickly!

California
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue Fever

Can I ask what hotel you were staying at in Sanur??? I am going to Bali and staying a couple of days in Sanur... Just wondering... Thanks.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue Fever

It makes absolutely no difference what hotel they were staying in. The Dengue mozzies, when they are around, can be anywhere. I"m confident that at least one guest from every hotel in Bali has come down with Dengue this last season. Who's to say they were even bitten in the hotel grounds, it could have been in a restaurant at lunch or while they were shopping or on a day trip to other parts of the island.

It's not fair on any hotel or single business for people to name it as a place where they were bitten by a mozzie especially as they could have been bitten anywhere at any time of the day.

mudwash
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue Fever

A girl at our hotel got it as well and we where in Kuta they reckon she got it the first day that she arrived the poor girl was really sick and had to be hospitalised a few times and the worse thing was she was all alone asingle traveller lucky she made some friends at the hotel that helped her also the staff where very good

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue Fever

Whinnie you do know that mosquitos now book hotels just like us don't you> :)

The better class hotels attract the better class mosquitoes so you will get a nice dengue from the 5* joints.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue Fever

Sorry to hear you were so unwell. Can you immunise against it. I have family up there now and am a little concerned.

cheers harro

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue Fever

Harro, no, there isn't any preventative measure except being vigilant with repellant during the day (as it's a day time mozzie). But what should now be happening, as the rains disappear and dry season begins is that these mozzies will disappear (stop breeding in water that is lying around) so the prevalence of Dengue "should" reduce as a result.

Linda, lol, well you learn something new everyday, don't you? I'll be sure to offer the mozzie in the next room a bintang when next I'm staying at a hotel in Bali. LOL :-)