We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for travelers with a 1.5 year old toddler

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for travelers with a 1.5 year old toddler

Hi all.

I'm reading through older posts, but wanted to put my own with our specific circumstances.

We will be in Singapore for a conference in late June and we have a week to do *something* near Singapore. Bali is at the top of our list.

Most important detail: we have an 18-month-old that walks.

Specific details:

- recommendations for flying from Singapore to Bali?

- what to do/where to stay while in Bali? We're much more villa people than big hotel/resort types.

- it would be great if we had a small kitchen to prepare food for our toddler and for us to keep beer/wine/snacks for us in.

- if we could stay somewhere that had a nice patio for us to relax at when toddler goes to bed, that'd be nice.

- we're not made of money but we're not going to go cheap either.

- we like to do *stuff* but given that we have a toddler, it would probably be easiest to do stuff in the morning and hang out on the beach in the afternoon (or vice versa).

- we will have a lightweight stroller (pram) and likely a hiking backpack baby carrier (we're weighing our options). We're not bringing a car seat, but we do have a special harness for short taxi rides (and will try to call for taxis with car seats.)

Please help! We really would appreciate it.

Edited: 11:58 am, May 11, 2010
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for travelers with a 1.5 year old toddler

i like sanur especially with young children. if you get a beach front hotel there are no roads to cross just a paved walkway which stretches the length of the beach. you can hire bikes (with child carrier). the beach here is calm, safe and a great place to relax and for your child to play. there are lovely restaurants and cafes along the beach and plenty of restaurants and shops in the main street of jl tambligan. if you take a look at the recommended accommodation for sanur to get you started. you don't really need to have a kitchen. the local restaurants will make food to suit and i suggest taking some prepared baby / toddler food and the hotel restaurants will heat them for you. you can buy fruit, yoghurt, milk and other baby food in the supermarkets so just put a bowl, plate, cutlery in your suit case. most rooms have fridges and tea / coffee making facilities. how much do you want to spend per night?

as for flights look at air asia they often have very good prices and specials

Sydney
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for travelers with a 1.5 year old toddler

Hi,

I think that Garuda flys from Singapore to Bali it might go via Jakarta.

So many villas in Bali it would really depend on what your budget is, the majority of villas have kitchens or kitchenettes and have lovely outdoor living areas. You could go to Bali Safari Park, Waterbom has a great kids area.

I hired prams, cots etc from Bali Baby Hire very reasonable and delivered to us. I dont know of any taxis that would have carseats in them in Bali.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for travelers with a 1.5 year old toddler

Thanks so much!

We wanted a kitchenette because our son is beyond baby food, but is still quite picky. He would eat pasta for every meal if he could. Ha ha.

These sound good.

What about Seminyak? I've heard good things about that too.

What are the price ranges for villas?

Thanks again!

Opera Estate
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for travelers with a 1.5 year old toddler

Perhaps, you may wish to check out http://www.balibaby.com/blog/

It's a rental service in Bali for all baby-related stuff like strollers, car seats etc instead of you having to bring over your stuff. It's about AUD10 per day for a car seat.

I suggest that you book ahead for the seats though 'cause I couldn't get the ones that I wanted even though I was booking several weeks ahead.

Travelling with the toddler, I suggest you go to Grand Hyatt Bali. It's cheap and awesome and loads to do and chill out.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for travelers with a 1.5 year old toddler

Hi,

There are quite a few flights from Sin to Bali.

Singapore Airlines (SQ), Jetstart(Valuair), Air Asia, KLM, Qatar, etc....

I find that SQ may not necessarily be that more expensive sometimes. You should compare prices. SQ flies there 3 times a day as well, so you have a better selection of timings. I would definitely go for an airline that wouldn't be too hard on my child - although the flight time is only 2h30 or 2h15 when the wind is in your favour.

I have flown SQ, Jetstar and Garuda to Bali. Garuda is terrible. Every time I took it, it was always delayed leaving Singapore. After the 4th time I gave up and never fly that anymore when I can - except if I have no choice for an internal flight; and yes, they do fly direct to Bali.

Late June - that's when the Singapore school holiday ends and the international school hols for some schools in Singapore start, so you had better try to get your tickets asap as well as your accommodaiton.

If you want a little kitchen, then a villa is perfect. I really like Seminyak and if you do a search on the forums, ilab has recently done a villa crawl so whatever info you find there is very recent.

You can definitely hire stuff in Bali - www,balibaby.com and balibabyhire.com I think

I contacted both and they are both very professional. I can;t remember which one I went with in the end, but that was only because they had more things that I wanted.

I would definitely stock up on the anti-mosquito patches that you can find in Singapore for use on your son and yourselves. It's a patch/sticker that you stick onto your clothes not the skin - so no worries of allergies, etc.

I don't think you find any taxis with car seats - and you won't get any with car seats in Singapore either. Your best bet is to hire a driver and get one who has a car seat (check out the drivers' list/link on the right).

Well, I guess your homework starts there. ;-P

6. Re: Recommendations for travelers with a 1.5 year old toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 10, 2010