We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA Hotel Review Rankings?

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
TA Hotel Review Rankings?

I’m starting to wonder how the hotel reviews are rated on TA. Last week Pullman Bali Legian Nirwana ranked 30 out of 32 hotels, this week 20 out 32. Does that mean by the end of the month it could be ranked No 1 hotel in Legian without even being opened? Looks like B.S to me.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TA Hotel Review Rankings?

These review ratings are a pain, honestly. It's a common complaint from most TA users that the ratings are useless.

If you do an explore of some other destinations, (like the Gold Coast or Syndey) there are Caravan Parks out in the boondocks listed as #1 for specialty accommodations.

It's a joke.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TA Hotel Review Rankings?

Hey, I didn't recognise you there SydneyOldboy.

Do these links help?

tripadvisor.co.uk/help/how_do_the_traveler_r…

tripadvisor.co.uk/help/how_does_the_populari…

But yes, as with any review system, treat with caution.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TA Hotel Review Rankings?

I stayed at a hotel in Vietnam that was not very good. Everytime a bad review went on they would go on and write a good one.

As mentioned be cautious and try to read between the lines.

It's difficult as different people have different expectations. What some people think is perfectly acceptable others do not. It's a guideline only.

I ask on the forums. Again it's not perfect but I find I get a better idea that way.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TA Hotel Review Rankings?

The rankings are meaningless. The ranking process is inaccurate and unreliable.

The reviews are better. But you have to read the review and check the status of the reviewer. A 5 star review from a reviewer with just one contribution is probably fake or there is a motive. Many hotels on Bali are getting good at writing fake reviews and covering their tracks.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TA Hotel Review Rankings?

Hi Noodles; I decided to shave down for a while.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TA Hotel Review Rankings?

I have to sway that I do look at the rtings, but i look at the reviews more and then the profile of the people who post the reviews and read a few of their posts on the forums if any. As mentioned, I think some sneak in and post fake reviews, etc, so I'm always careful and even then I always check to see if the reviewer shares my same travelling style/taste or not before trusting their opinion. ;-P

7. Re: TA Hotel Review Rankings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 02, 2010