We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are life jackets available with snorkeling gear?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
878 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Are life jackets available with snorkeling gear?

We plan to do some snorkeling on Gili Air (from the beach on our own and with a snorkelling tour), and also while at Padangbai.

BF is not a strong swimmer and I think I may be snorkeling alone unless there are life jackets for him to rent.

Can anyone confirm the availability of life jackets on Gili Air/East Bali when renting snorkeling gear?

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are life jackets available with snorkeling gear?

Hi, I have just come back from snorkelling in the Blue Lagoon and White Sand Beach(just out from Cand Dasa, East Bali) whilst not requesting a life jacket I did not see one at all either on people on the long boats nor in the water, that is not to say that they are not available, hopefully someone may have other advise within the tour you are going on.

If they have a website perhaps email them and confirm.

Just a thought, they are not that expensive perhaps think about buying one to take as you do not know the condition the hired ones are in and a life jacket is usless if it is faulty.

Enjoy your holiday.

Edited: 6:31 pm, April 18, 2010
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,743 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are life jackets available with snorkeling gear?

you should be able to hire one on gili air. most companies provide them for the various water sports. we have always had them on offer where ever we have done water sports.

Darwin
Level Contributor
341 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are life jackets available with snorkeling gear?

I would say a "noodle" would be better than a life jacket, I have seen lots of people snorkelling with them, and they are freely available.

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are life jackets available with snorkeling gear?

When he puts on a life vest and then attempts to snorkel, make sure you have a camera ready. It will be one of those magic moments.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are life jackets available with snorkeling gear?

If he can swim but just isn't overly confident and you are going from the shore a blow up ring is fantastic, easy to pack and cheap enough to leave behind, just hook your arm through the hole and pull along with you. We always take them for the kids but end up pinching them in the pool great for lazy swims:)

I think a noodle would be OK if you are quite a good swimmer to start with, but not that good if there is the chance he will panic as they aren't that buoyant.

But if he can't swim very well or you are jumping straight into deep water make sure he has a life jacket, most tour companies supply them. I have seen them for hire at Amed and Nusa Lembongan, so I don't think you would have trouble finding them on Gili Air as it is so popular for snorkeling.

Have fun!!

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are life jackets available with snorkeling gear?

I have always had the option of life jackets every time I snorkelled in Bali with a company - except in Amed and Tulamben, the white sand peach (pantai pasir putih) in the east, when we just snorkelled off the beach ourselves.

If your BF is not a confident swimmer, just go for the life jacket as I don't think the noodle is very reassuring for someone who is not confident and swimming in the "open water"!

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are life jackets available with snorkeling gear?

i my partner takes her own as it is cheap buy in the uk and alway in good nic as we found out in a bad way in kenya when she was in the water it just fell to bit

8. Re: Are life jackets available with snorkeling gear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 17, 2010