We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help this Island!

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help this Island!

Hello Bali Lovers

I have a request of you all, as you are Bali visitors, can you please do Bali a big favour.

I live in Bali and constantly see tourist vehicles on the road that are blowing out black smoke.

The other day I followed one that was advertising on the back an Eco Tour, I had to laugh, or I would have actually got mad.

What I am asking, is your help. If you do a tour or use a driver in Bali can you have a look out the back window to see if your vehicle is blowing out black smoke and then tell your driver you are not happy about it. If the vehicle does not belong to him then tell the owner (or even email the company).

Some of the tour companies that are recommended in the Things to Do List that Battling put together are some of the worst for this (I drive every day in Bali and see them every morning on my way to work).

All you need to do is let them know you are not happy with it and I am sure they will do something about it. Don't be harsh but be firm and tell them it is not good for the environment. If enough people do this then hopefully they will get their vehicles fixed.

Thanks for helping to clean up Bali!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,109 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help this Island!

Sounds like a good idea to me CBali. We see it all the time here as well, so it's not just Bali. There's a lot of cars out there that need a good tune-up and/or perhaps new valves......

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help this Island!

While I commend your intention on this and know that I wouldn't get into a car that was blowing smoke like that, I think you would have to enlarge your net to include all business cars and trucks in Bali.

The worst offenders I have seen are trucks and vans owned by businesses for deliveries etc.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help this Island!

Whinne. We all need to start somewhere and if we can do this little bit, then we can help. My point is that we can make a difference and this is one step towards it.

I'll find another forum to work on the trucks owned businesses as well, I'm in this for the long haul, my mission is to help clean up Bali as long as I live here.

So, hope you can help.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help this Island!

Of course you are right and I will certainly help out any way I can. It is a long haul, and will take a long time, but yes, we do have to start somewhere.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,109 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help this Island!

Yeah me too. I hate those darn trucks that we get stuck behind on our drive to Candidasa...they all blow black smoke and are over-loaded too. How many have I seen lying on their side, when they have tipped over going 'round a sharpish corner - I keep expecting to hear that some poor local has been trapped under one of these trucks.

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help this Island!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm not actually promoting the companies ,Im just using the websites where people can see what can be done for their research purposes .

People can read so much but if you can't see pictures sometimes it is really hard to grasp , that is why i included the links ....so don't shoot me just yet !

Nothing worse than sitting behind a car / truck that blows black smoke !

cheers

batt

Bali
Level Contributor
639 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help this Island!

Go CBali! Hi 5!! I think that is a really good idea. If we can also explain WHY it is bad, then they start telling people about what the crazy bules are saying now and then they start getting educated about the environment and spreading it to others. From little things, big things grow!

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help this Island!

Grrreat idea!!!

Maybe, when we see our drivers littering as well, we can also tell them not to do that..? Like when they throw their car park tickets out of the window!? I saw a driver do that once, but he was on the opposite side of the road. Pah.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help this Island!

Jade Du, the littering is my bug bear as well. I become like the litter police over there. My 8 year old grandson coped a "look" and a stern "don't do that" last year from me, and this year he was pedantic at putting his rubbish in the bin. He would hold onto it until he came across a bin.

Like you say, Teka, From little things, big things grow.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help this Island!

Oh Batt

I didn't mean to attack you, it's just if people know where to start, they go on a tour from that list then they can just look out the back window. If we clean up that list it's just a start, I mean that's the list people on here are using so that's why I mentioned it.