We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for a luxurious hotel for family....

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation for a luxurious hotel for family....

First trip to Bali, planning mid February, during Chinese New Year, researched lots already, but can't manage to narrow down to ONE hotel with these criteria... please help me!

Looking for a hotel with luxurious villa type accomodation, with excellent beach, not big huge waves, not rocky, not dirty, not crowded, with very good food, good service, no bugs or snakes problems..... but convenient for non-water activities such as any shopping, or sightseeing, and a hotel that's NOT mainly catered for couples only. Hoping to have chance to go to the spa as well, really love Banyan Tree type of spa massages.

I know I am being greedy.... but we had a fabulous time in Dubai last year with all of these things(minus the spa).... hoping to find somewhere closer to Hong Kong that can allow the kids to enjoy the beach, and allow husband and I to relax and enjoy the spa.

(would March/April be better for weather? Or July/August?) I am opened to change the dates... but hoping to go somewhere in mid Feb for 4 nights,considering Bali first.

THANKS !!!

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for a luxurious hotel for family....

The Legian or the Samaya.

Bradford England
Level Contributor
204 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for a luxurious hotel for family....

Have a look at the Laguna Resort & Spa in Nusa Dua. It will certainly give you the level of service that you are looking for, and the setting is fabulous. Not sure about the shopping opportunities but if you look it up on TA it will give you an idea of what to expect. We went there last Easter and we are going again this year, which I think is a good recommendation!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for a luxurious hotel for family....

Hi,

Maybe have a look at the Jimbaran Puri Bali.

Otherwise the Oberoi or the Legian

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation for a luxurious hotel for family....

I would suggest the Hyatt at Sanur. This 5-star hotel has everything that you are looking for. It's right on the beach, has magnificent tropical gardens, great pools, lovely rooms and spas. Sanur has better beaches than Legian and Seminyak and there's a great protected lagoon which is ideal for children. Sanur is also very family friendly. As for the weather, July/August would be less humid than March/April with also less chance of rain.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
287 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation for a luxurious hotel for family....

you will love samaya...

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation for a luxurious hotel for family....

Great suggestions !!! thanks everyone.

I booked the air already.... for early April, via Singapore.... kids want to visit Zoo and night Safari, and hopefully Universal Studios Singapore.

I got quoted better prices from Samaya than Legian..... haven't looked at Laguna, or Hyatt..... really trying to get more opinions which areas got the nicer beaches....

Anyone recommend Club Med Bali ? (A friend asked me why I am not booking it...) Cuz, I am thinking, presuming, food and accomodations won't be "luxurious?" or the spa won't be top notch?

Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks so much!

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendation for a luxurious hotel for family....

Club Med is really not that flash. Give it the heave ho on your list;

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendation for a luxurious hotel for family....

Hi,

Club Med is in Nusa Dua. ND is a purpose built gated tourism enclave where

many large international resorts are located.

The beach is good, shopping ok but expensive and it is some distance from other places.

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendation for a luxurious hotel for family....

The Samaya. Perfect for what you describe and lots of open space for kids, with a huge pool and private villas, which is a plus. Its a terrific property. I also think it would be a better choice than the Legian, which is right next door and is a few floors high. Have fun.

PS

The Night Safari in SIN is fun with kids yet, depending on how interested you are in night viewing of animals and such, you likely can cover the night zoo relatively quickly.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendation for a luxurious hotel for family....

Thanks all again.

Just checked again... Samaya has a note saying their BEACH VILLAS are under renovations from Jan to June 2010 ! Courtyard villas are unaffected.

The last thing I want to deal with is renovation noises... even if I was at the Courtyard villa...... any advice? I have no idea what the layout of the resort is like, would this be a concern?

I am wondering, no one has mentioned Four Seasons ..... is it not worthy of looking into?

What AREA in Bali should I be looking into for sightseeing and beach activities and good family dining with the kids? (What is the NAME of the area ?)

Thanks!