We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timers. Info on Money/Health/Food/Visas??? HELP PLEASE

Sydney
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
1st timers. Info on Money/Health/Food/Visas??? HELP PLEASE

Hey there,

My girlfriend and I are travelling to bali (from Aus) in 2 weeks and we're abit unsure about a few issues. We're staying for a week.

First of all...MONEY!

On some website I've seen that it is best to convert AUD to rupiahs in bali as you get a better exchange rate. Is it better to withdraw money from an ATM (we're with CBA so we dont know about charges and what not) or is it better to take cash and convert it there?? We were thinking about taking $500 Australian each for general expenses out of the hotel and leaving our credit card for paying for the in-hotel stuff (food, restaurants, massages etc) which will most likely be debited to our credit cards in USD. With the Visas which ill ask about next, most websites quote the amount in $US so for us it'll be US$25 for the 30day visa. Do we need to take $25US each for this or can we pay in Australian?

OK NEXT ITEM....VISAS

Ok so ive read a few websites that say we need to pay for an entrance visa into bali which is $10US for 7 days and $25US for 30 days. Do we have to pay in US$ or can we pay in AUD? Just dont want to have to convert to another currency before we leave.

Also ive read somewhere about some 150,000 rupiah departure tax that we have to pay at the airport when we leave. Is this true? Dont really mind about the currency for this one as we'll have converted rupiahs during our stay.

Next item...HEALTH

My girlfriend and I have not got the H1N1 swine flu virus vaccine. Is it suggested that we do get this before we leave? Also should we take stuff like tablets for malaria? Are there tablets for malaria? Have no idea so just asking. What other types of simple medications and medical stuff should we take?

LAST ITEM...FOOD

Ok this is a simple one, we just wanted to know whether or not its safe to eat salad or fresh fruit that we may be given in our hotels. I guess you cant really tell but any advice would be beneficial.

THANKS PPL ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

Michael

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 1st timers. Info on Money/Health/Food/Visas??? HELP PLEASE

Michael,

Same as most of what the others have posted. As for money, we always take cash with us and leave most of it in the hotel room safe. Just take as much as you need for the day. If you need emergency money, keep your ATM card with you. There are plenty of ATM's, but attract a fee of course and you are subject to the Bank's daily rate, which is usually a lot lower.

MEDICAL- We take a small first aid kit, with most of the basic stuff in it. We also take a kit of medicines with us. Last trip in April 2009 we didn't use any of the kits ourselves, but some people that we met at our Hotel were a bit sick and we gave some of our medicines to them. These are all easy to obtain medicines like Gastrostop, Imodium, Panadol etc. We ate at small restaurants and none of us got sick. Our 2 yo daughter also ate the same things and didn't get sick either. The heat and humidity is another thing so make sure you drink lots of water. Bottled water is very cheap and can be purchased from the small convenience stores. The bottled water supplied by the Hotels are only 500ml bottles (or thereabouts) and not enough for the day.

Enjoy your time in Bali, make the most of it and emerse yourself in the atmosphere.

12. Re: 1st timers. Info on Money/Health/Food/Visas??? HELP PLEASE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, June 29, 2010