We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance for Bali ?

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Insurance for Bali ?

Hi there. I'm off to Bali on 16 Nov and travelling with a 3 and 4 year old. I have heard that it is not uncommon to get upset tummies etc whilst there and wondered whether I should take out insurance to cover any medical costs the children may encounter. We are only there for a week. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Tasmania
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Insurance for Bali ?

You absolutely must take out travel insurance. You just never know what might happen to you or the kids. A friend of mine, who has been going to Bali for many years got knocked over by a motorbike last year and had many trips to the Doctor and ended up having to have an operation. it ran into a very large sum and she got it all back on travel insurance. You just never know, and if you had to be flown home it would cost a fortune. For the small outlay it is absolutely worth the peace of mind, especially with children.

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Insurance for Bali ?

Travel insurance is an absolute must no matter where you travel in the world. If you had an accident in Bali and had to be medically evacuated back to Australia it would cost you thousands and thousands of dollars. Also if you have something stolen or lose a valuable item, with travel insurance you can claim for the loss. Travel insurance is especially essential when travelling with young children. I have always bought my travel insurance through Mondial and they are a reputable Australian company. Google them and you can take out the insurance online.

Perth
Level Contributor
339 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Insurance for Bali ?

Absolutely!!!!!!!! We have just returned from Bali. My 7 year old daughter became very ill while there and had to be admitted to hospital. Prior to taking her to hospital, I made contact with my insure to find out the process and to get a recommendation on where to take her. They were very helpful and called twice a day to check on her progress. Once in hospital, they provided a payment guarantee so that we did not have to make any payments to the hospital. A one night stay cost aound AUD1000.

Just prior to returning home, my daughter was ill again. We were back at the hospital and the travel insurer was in constant communication with us to ensure she was fit to fly. If not, they were going to deal with our flights and accommodation.

During the whole process, they made it clear that they would handle everything for us so that we could concentrate on our daughter and not have to worry about anything else.

Don't leave home without it.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Insurance for Bali ?

Oh boy, I don't usually repeat what others have said, but YES you need Travel Insurance.

I didn't for 25 years then thought maybe the pittance of $65.00 wouldn't kill me one year and the first night, I got hit by a bike. T.I. paid every cent of my $3000.00 plus bills. I have never needed it since but I will never travel without it.

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Insurance for Bali ?

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am now the proud owner of travel insurance. I must say, it was more tricky than I thought, cos we are in Aus on a 457 visa and not permanent residents, so we were more restricted where we could buy from. But all sorted, so can now sleep easy !!!

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Insurance for Bali ?

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am now the proud owner of travel insurance. I must say, it was more tricky than I thought, cos we are in Aus on a 457 visa and not permanent residents, so we were more restricted where we could buy from. But all sorted, so can now sleep easy !!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Insurance for Bali ?

You would be an idiot for leaving the country without travel insurance. If you cant afford it you shouldnt be going!!! I spend 1 night in hospital in Bali and it cost me $1800, my insurance covered it. Imagine if I spent a week.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Insurance for Bali ?

sparkyperth

i have 3 i am tossing up with for next trip,,,,,,but sparky i like the sound of the service yours gave,,,,,would u mind telling me who it was with please.

hope your little girl is well now.

and yes never ever travel without it.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Insurance for Bali ?

Hi,

Great move to get a travel insurance.

I once also did travel without until one day I had to visit the ER in Orlando for some tests.... and the bill came to USD 3000. Even with the euro very high it was a very hard one to swallow.

Now I carry full insurance.

Huntington Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Insurance for Bali ?

Hi. great advise about travel Insurance. Any recomendations for a Yank? Traveling Indonesia, Vietnam and Thailand January thru April 2010. (maybe I'll be a beginning diver as well)