We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe for single female traveller?

Singapore
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safe for single female traveller?

Hi

Is Bali safe for single female traveller?

Cheers

Karen

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe for single female traveller?

Hi Karen

I have been to Bali on my own about 4 times and have never experienced any safety concerns. However, I do not go "clubbing" etc. I stay reasonably close to my hotel at night. I have never had any dramas with taxi's or hired drivers.

Often when dining alone, if the restaurant is not busy I find that a staff member will stop and make conversation. I enjoy meeting and talking with people so am never "lonely". I also enjoy my own company.

I think if you are careful of your surroundings, just as you are anywhere, you should be fine.

cheers

wendy

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe for single female traveller?

As long as you take the same precautions that you would do at home, Bali is a great safe place for a single, female traveller. In fact I feel safer walking down the street at night in Bali, than I do in my own home town. Bali is much more peaceful, laid back and gentle. Just don't go anywhere alone at night with someone you don't know, don't hop into a car with someone you don't know etc. etc. Practise some common sense and you will have a great time.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,098 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe for single female traveller?

I agree with the two previous posts. Use the same common sense you would at home and all will be fine. As with Elizabeth, I am happy to walk the streets of Bali at night on my own and feel safe. I also would get a cab on my own in Bali and not be concerned. You will find it's a very friendly place to visit. You will meet lots of people from all over the world and you wll find the local Balinese particularly friendly and lovely to spend time with and have a chat.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe for single female traveller?

I go a few times a year on my own and have never felt unsafe. I go out at night (sometimes late) and have never been worried walking home at night.

Bali
Level Contributor
639 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe for single female traveller?

Very safe. I travelled here many times on my own, before moving here. :) I found some great places to stay as a single traveller too - that didn't have any drunk groups of men around. Stay out of Kuta and you won't find many of them.

sydney
Level Contributor
5 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe for single female traveller?

Hi, I just arrived in Bali for the first time on my own today. I feel safe and as a previous person wrote, the staff etc are nice and talk to you. I have a driver I use every time we have been here, so makes me feel better knowing he can drive me and I am safe and he is trustworthy. Cheap price too. His email is putu@balijohn.com. Highly recommend him.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe for single female traveller?

Hi Midsummerrain,

Bali is safe for you, just avoid flirting around with young Balinese boy who might tease you or offer you a free guiding service.

Hope it helps,

Sandra

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe for single female traveller?

Hi,

Yes, Bali is safe for a solo female traveller- actually the majority of Indonesia is safe in that regard.

I have travelled over the years through Bali, Lombok, South Sulawesi, Java Sumatra and Aceh without incident.

Pamela.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe for single female traveller?

bali is safe but be wary as advised as you would be at home. there are some people in bali like any where in the world that prey on tourists - girls and guys alike.

Kajang,Malaysia
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe for single female traveller?

Hi, I am from Malaysia and went to Bali for the first time last July with a galfren.

Every night we will take a walk form our place of staying at the legian area to Kuta I felt it was very safe! You will not feel alone at all! Because there's always people around you..

As long as you are friendly and enjoy your surroundings, things will be fine!