We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking large sums of cash, or to use ATMS in Bali?!

Perth, Western...
4 posts
Save Topic
Taking large sums of cash, or to use ATMS in Bali?!

Hi everyone,

After my partner and I have spent the last hour reading these forums, we've learnt a bunch to prepare us for our 10 night stay in Bali, come mid September!

Staying at the Kumala Pantai, and couldn't be more excited! We are comfortable with the VOA, and departure tax, and how to CHANGE money, the only thing that worries me is how to access money there.

We both intend on taking AU$500 - AU$1000 in order to out-last our stay there, but is this too much cash to saftely carry around?

If we use ATMs, what kind of fees can I expect? And what sort of rates?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Many thanks,

Chris

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,019 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking large sums of cash, or to use ATMS in Bali?!

well I usually mix Cash and Credit Card.

I bring along 500€, always have some left when I return and if necessary I go to an ATM.

For the fees you'll have to check with your bank.

If you're worried about you cash, Kumala Pantai has a Safe in every room, a money changer not far (Kodak Sign) and ATM are like mushrooms, growing very fast on Jl Werkudara.

I usually change 50 or 100€ at a time, same with ATM equivalent of 100 € or +/- 1.4 M rp

Kumala Pantai is a Great hotel at a very reasonable price, enjoy your stay.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking large sums of cash, or to use ATMS in Bali?!

Hi Brahcj

We are from the 'old' school and don't use the ATM's and always take cash.

We also stay at Kumala Pantai.

Hubby 'safely' carries the money in a money belt.(while in Bali carries any 'larger' amount in a money belt under his shirt/part tucked into his shorts and smaller amount in a bum bag on the outside of his shirt)and when we arrive it goes straight into the safety deposit box. Last year as the exchange rate was 'up' he decided to change all our $A into Rupiah as we needed to pay for our accom.

He carries quite a considerable amount of $$'s from Oz to Bali and to date has never had a problem.

A reliable money changer we use near Kumala Pantai.

Pt. Bali Saudara Valas

Jl Werkudara (Jl Pura Bagus Taruna 511 Kuta)

Head down the street opposite Jayakarta entrance you will pass Flying Piano Restaurant, Yutz restaurant and keep walking,and stay on left hand side footpath.(full glass window/glass door,green bi-fold like garage doors both sides of window).

Have a great trip,

Cheers

Burns

Bali
Level Contributor
639 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking large sums of cash, or to use ATMS in Bali?!

I use ATMs and carry a little cash (like $100-200) for emergencies. If you can find the ATMs that will let you take out 3million at a time, you cut down your fees. Depending on what bank you're with and how many ATM withdrawals you get without charge makes a difference to your fees. For me, using my Commonwealth Bank card is MUCH more expensive than using my credit union card. For Comm Bank, I would expext fees to be about $8 for each transaction. For the credit union, they are about $3-4.

The rates are subject to the exchange rate of the day and I have always found them to be pretty fair...

I just don't like carrying around wads of cash.

Sydney
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking large sums of cash, or to use ATMS in Bali?!

Hi Chris,

I am just back from Bali and i took $1000 in cash, which i kept in my in-room safe at the hotel and took out what i needed daily. Had no problems. Also took my Visa card but as its all so cheap it wasnt needed!

Cheers :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking large sums of cash, or to use ATMS in Bali?!

Oh and i only ever used Kodak stores to change money, they are excellent.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking large sums of cash, or to use ATMS in Bali?!

we normally take cash and split it carrying half each in case of loss or theft etc.

Once there we place straight into hotel safety deposit box and cash each days amount daily.

We work out what we have per day and cash only that amount...then we never run out and we don't have excess on us walking around.

ATM's I don't think give as good rate to the dollar.

We do take a card though just in case we "see something extra" and we take our credit card to use only in the hotel or department store.

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking large sums of cash, or to use ATMS in Bali?!

Hi

When we went to Bali recently I changed my NAB savings card to a Visa gold Debit card. With this card there are no fees when using ATMS AT ALL.

I don't know if any of the other banks do this but it would be worth looking into if you don't already bank with NAB.

regards

Redned

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking large sums of cash, or to use ATMS in Bali?!

i'm usually in legian a short time and spend most of my time staying in other spots in bali. changing money at a good rate can be a problem doing this so i cash about $2000 aud on arrival for family of four and use credit card for larger hotel bills. it works out fine for us. also take some travellers cheques (issued free with australian post)and atm card just in case.

Perth, Western...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking large sums of cash, or to use ATMS in Bali?!

Thank you all for all of your help!

We think we will just carry the $800-$1000 on us. Really, if your watching it like a hawk it shouldn't go missing between the airport and the hotel!

All your tips have been fantastic! I did check with my bank (bank west)

They would charge me $5 per transaction, plus 2% of the total amount handed out. Not over the top, but when its avoidable, why not?

You have helped to ease my mind in carrying such large sums of cash.

Kudos :)

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking large sums of cash, or to use ATMS in Bali?!

Your biggest problem will not be watching your money, it will be watching your spending. Two people for 10 days with around $900.

This is $45 per person per day. If you were an experienced traveller this would be okay. However it is obvious you are new at the game. The beach sellers and hawkers around KP will spot this in a micro second.

Keep in mind that your daily budget will only be 375,000 rupiah each.