We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian Quarantine requirements

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,000 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Australian Quarantine requirements

I have finally heard back from Aust Quarantine Information Service in regard to a encounter with an inspector at 3.50am Darwin aroport around 6 weeks ago.

I was asked why I had not written on my declaration form that I was bringing a woven hat into Australia. I looked at the officer in disbelief that I was being asked about the ancient thing hanging from my wrist. My hat is around 16 years (I do love it) and has been to Bali and other destinations many, many times in those years. It had never occured to me that I should declare it on the forms we are given onboard to fill in re any potential items of concern being brought into Australia.

My husband and I had always thought that what we took out with us and then brought back in was okay, especially since the hat was either on my head or in an airconditioned room on any of these trips. Alas we have been wrong all these years and everything in your suitcase that you took out, that can potentially be infested has to be declared, ie straw hat, shoes with wood in the base etc, any wooden dingle dangles you may have on a key ring, hair clip and I would imagine a 2B pencil!

I have always been very careful not to ever bring anything back that was a problem or illegal and now I will consider very closely what I'm taking out, because it's going to take forever to check all of this when we are coming back in, now that I know I've been breaking the law all of this time. It certainly never occured to us that they were asking about these items and we always took it to mean what we were bringing into Australia from elsewhere.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian Quarantine requirements

Wow, surely they should advertise this fact so that everyone knows about it. My thinking would have been exactly as yours was.

2. Re: Australian Quarantine requirements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 18, 2010