We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Criminal record & Bali

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Criminal record & Bali

Posted by Matthewsync on Saturday, 20. June 2009 at 20:12 Bali Time:

Hi guys,

Was thinking about going to Bali but have a record.

I was 18 & some friends & I were walking home after a night in a club (about 28 years ago). A friend picked up a rock & threw it through a shop window. We all then stole some things out of the shop,

We were caught & charged with breaking & entering. So I have a criminal record of which I am not particulary proud.

Only telling the story as I was about to apply for a 60 day Visa to Indoenesia & they ask the question: "Do you have a Criminal Record?".

Is Indonesia like the USA? If you have a record do they immediately reject your application?

Cheers

Matt

Bali
Level Contributor
639 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Criminal record & Bali

Ouch Matt... well, at least you're honest and more mature now. My friend's girlfriend has a record too and she applied for a 60 day visa and was rejected. She can only come for 30 days at a time... but she can still come, so you may have to do a visa run part-way through your trip or cut your trip short.

victoria
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Criminal record & Bali

Ring the Indonesian or Australian embassies and get proper advice. I am sure you have nothing to worry about, it was a long time ago, but I would not lie to immigration in Indonesia. :(

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Criminal record & Bali

Agree with Papadop, get advice from the people who really know.

You don't have to answer that question on a 30 day or less visa, so it's not an issue for a shorter stay.

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Criminal record & Bali

Simply answer no on the form. The Indonesian authorities will not be doing a close scrutiny of your application.

You could also go to the police and get a stay of conviction. This is a very simple process. Any criminal charges are kept recorded by the police but are not revealed to outside parties. This way you could answer no, without any worries.

I know a number of expats living in Indonesia who also have a checkered past. Your incident is only a minor thing.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Criminal record & Bali

"You could also go to the police and get a stay of conviction. This is a very simple process. Any criminal charges are kept recorded by the police but are not revealed to outside parties. This way you could answer no, without any worries."

I can't believe it would be that easy otherwise all criminals would do it. (Sorry Mat No offence meant- we've all done things we are not proud of). There has to be limits. Not everyone could just hide their convictions.

Worth a phone call though.

If it's just a misdemeanor there shouldn't be any problems declaring it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Criminal record & Bali

Catalyst, I think the operative work in Cepaka's post is "past". Surely the length of time since the offence with no further trouble, should enable some sort of reprieve for situations just like this. I'm very sure that if the offence was only a few years ago, you wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Criminal record & Bali

Hi Matt

Given that this offence occurred "28 years ago", inquire with the Police in NSW about having it recorded as a "spent conviction". This procedure is possible in WA, so am sure it would be available in NSW. A 'spent conviction' means that the person no longer has to admit or declare a "conviction".

Worth a try.

Cheers

wendy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Criminal record & Bali

Sorry I didn't see the 28 years ago bit.

Yep it is considered spent. 25 years is the time if no further convictions.

No need to mention it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Criminal record & Bali

I didn't know that, Catalyst, wow, that's pretty good.

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Criminal record & Bali

What a shame the conviction was not recorded in WA. It is only 10 years here, before an application can be made.!