We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jbr nusa dua beach resort

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
jbr nusa dua beach resort

Have just got back from 9 nights at the NDBR palace club room.Had a brilliant time.Not posted a jbr before so apologies for my review in advance!

Arrived Wednesday 7.30pm No problems what so ever at the airport.Paid VOA in usd.(one or two people infront so no great queues).No waiting for the luggage either. We were met by Tour East Driver which was part of our package who took us straight to the Hotel reception. We were taken to the Palace Reception and greeted with cold towels and a drink before being shown to our room.The room was 'old fashioned' but lovely with plenty of space and great airconditioning.At 9pm we were sat at the upstairs bar listening to music having 2 cocktails and 1 beer 278.300 rp.Very nice.Breakfasts are lovely in the Palace Club. The staff greet you by name and are so friendly.Also enjoyed the 'high teas' and free champagne every evening!! We went to one of the evening traditional danceshows (Lembong I think) at the Hotel for 1.5 million rp. That included meal and a bottle of wine.The show was brilliant.We had several lunches at the Chess bar (club sandwiches,fries garlic bread) for 133.100rp.Evening meal at Raja's 544.50 for 2 with wine. Very nice!(but spicy) As many others have said the hotel grounds are beautiful with lots of space and 2 large pools.Staff are great, all with big welcoming smiles.Just loved sitting by the pool then going to the Palace club for a pot of tea or cold juice when too hot.The weather was mid 30's the whole time. It rained twice late at night so didnt bother us at all. Walked to the Bali Collection for lunch was very surprised as we didnt expect so many shops.Also walked to the Nusa Dua village where we bought dresses and bags for 1/2 of the starting price.Bluebird Taxi to Kuta was 600.00rp. It took us about 30 mins. No worries about getting a taxi back .We were going to hire a driver to take us out for days but (husband)decided to stick with Tour East dear but good.We went white water rafting. Brilliant fun.Also spent one day on the East coast going to the Mother Temple, a BatCave, a working local village, KlungKung palace with museum etc Had lunch overlooking a valley of rice fields stunning!! Also spent a day going to the Volcano, Ubud,Batik Factory,silver Factory,Rice terraces,Kriss and barong dance.Am sure there was lots of other things we saw on both trips but sorry cant remember. We were the only people on the 2 full day trips so the Tour Guide advised we could vary the tour. He was happy to drop us off at Kuta on one day so we managed to get a meal at Poppies before going back to the hotel.Word of warning!!!! The Rep who made our bookings advised us to be careful when the guides came to pick us up in the morning at the hotel. He said Tour East always wear uniforms and a hat.Well on the morning of the volcano tour we were met by a 'guide' at the hotel who said he was Tour East and guided us to his vehicle (1 min away at side of hotel) I queried his uniform and why the car was at the side but he was insistant he was Tour East. As we were getting in the car I was very unhappy and asked for proof of identification. He pulled out an old Tour East Brochure. At that we got out and advised he was not who he claimed to be. He apologised and said he had made an error and thought we were someone else. Hmm!! We went straight back to hotel front where the real guide was with full uniform and hat!!Apparantly this is a con where the fakes take you to the tour then charge you so we were very careful on other trips. Experienced no other problems.Informed Tour East who said they will ensure guests are told to be careful. Had an evening meal at Bumbu Bali on our anniversary. They picked us up and brought us back no problems .Had a lovely meal(very spicy) and was really surprised when given free dessert of all their fruits to taste as an annivesary gift. Very nice. We loved our holiday in Bali and would recommend it to others.Our journey back again was brilliant. No queues at all at airport only 1 person infront paying the exit tax.As we had checked in on line at the hotel we didnt have to queue at the airport and went straight to the 'online desk'Great flight with Singapore Airlines. tranferred at Singapore to the A380 airbus fab! fab!fab! Well hope I havent bored you all to death. Am still jet lagged but just writing this jbr brings back many happy memories. Thanks to all previous ta's for loads of info. Nb no problems with stray dogs!! Im terrified of them but only saw sleeping dogs in the villages . They werent interested in us at all .

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jbr nusa dua beach resort

thanks for the JBR. glad you had a fantastic time in bali.

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jbr nusa dua beach resort

Hi Laura

Sounds like you had a great time! Good report and thanks for the warning on the tour rep.

We're heading to Bali in a few weeks and I'm keen to know how you got on with changing money, i.e. what's the best way?

I was originally going to use a Nationwide account, but as we all know they are now charging when you use your card abroad - so need to have a rethink.

Is it best to take T/Chqs (Sterling or US) or is it best to take GBP's and change them in Bali?

Perhaps there's another way of loading up a Debit Card? for use abroad or what's the best card now to use abroad in ATMs?

You're advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jbr nusa dua beach resort

hi navarac, there have been numerous posts re currency to take and hints on where and how to exchange money in bali. it is best to do a search on the forum and you will be able to read many replies. it is best to take your own currency and exchange it when you are in bali to get a better exchange rate that you will b4 you leave. exchange rates are higher outside of nusa dua. you can also use credit card in some places. please check the forum to get some answers to your question.

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jbr nusa dua beach resort

Thanks Snookys...

Yes I know it is a case of trawling through the forum which is what I have done - but it is quite a job reading through everything and takes time! and I couldn't quickly find what I was looking for.

Its always interesting to know from a fellow Brit who has just been there, which is why I've asked the question.

Also the fact that Nationwide has just charged it's policy and it comes into force now and so undoubtedly, like me, some Brits will be in the same positon.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jbr nusa dua beach resort

Hi Navarac

We took £600 in rupiah . A huge wad of clean notes which we split and carried half each. We were lucky and got a higher rate of exchange here in England than what was offered at the airport in Denpasar and in Kuta. Im sure most people do usually get higher rates in country but it worked for us! We didnt use any money changers .There were loads of money changers and atm's everywhere. We used our Visa card at the ATM at the Hard Rock in Kuta and paid £3.00 per transaction.You could press 'fast cash 'which was 100,000rp. We were able to take out 2 million rp in one transaction. Like you I thought about the Nationwide card but read it was no longer free. Not sure if the Post Office card is free for transactions but didnt want yet another card. Hope this is of some help

laura 25

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jbr nusa dua beach resort

Thanks Laura

Yes, your info is helpful. I'll check around and compare rates here and in Bali and maybe do the same as you.

Yes, I had heard that the post office do a card and I've yet to check that out.

Cheers

7. Re: jbr nusa dua beach resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:35 am, October 31, 2009