We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jbr 3-10 April

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
jbr 3-10 April

Hi Just back from 7 nights in Bali. This time it was just my husband and myself for a little R&R a spur of the moment trip bought about 4 weeks before departure. Flew with Garuda, flight was fine and arrived on time. A very full flight from Perth, so were lucky to be one of the people in the first few rows of economy so we were out of the plane quickly. Paid our VOA and in the taxi on our way to the Vira Bali Hotel in Tuban within 20 minutes of landing. Pretty impressive I thought!

In the past we've always taken the kids and stayed in 'kid friendly' hotels that have kids club. This time we chose the Vira because....well basically the other boutique 3* hotels I selected had no vacancies! We were not at all disappointed with the Vira, our room was only about 2 metres from the pool, room was large enough for the two of us and very clean. Breakfast buffet was more than adequate...no it didnt have the variety of the Kartika Plaza, Padma or Dynasty but we had no problems with it. Part of the resaurant overlooks Jl Kartika Plaza and it was a great people watching are to have breakfast. This part of the restaurant has lowline chairs and tables with large overstuffed cushions (something that is becoming very popular in the more trendy restaurants around Tuban) When we arrived it seemed very quiet, and only a few people around the hotel. We left on Good Friday and at breakfast that day there was heaps more people. The downside to the hotel is that it is marginally abit far out of the main drag. We walked everywhere and rarely caught a taxi, but for some people I think it would be a little of an inconvenience. It took just under 20min without stopping to browse to walk into Kuta Matahari. There is also a church next door so it was a little on the noisy side Sunday morning (about 8am) and Good Friday morning.

We ate at a variety of Restaurants, a few that stand out because we had lovely meals at are Lucky Day Restaurant in Seminyak. I had some prawns in the yummiest sambal sauce and the presentation of the meal was top notch. My husband had a kebab and said it also very nice. Friends had the grilled prawns (huge) and said nicest meal that they had in Bali. It is worth visiting the restaurant just to see their toilets...they are something else! Mini Restaurant in Tuban (opp Remada Bintag) their chilli crab was wonderful (we ate there twice and each time had chilli crab) it was 50,000 per crab, you can chose your crab and they were of a reasonable size. We chose 3 crabs for the two of us. It was enough with rice. It was quite chilli and they gave you extra chilli as well, my silly husband put extra on and paid for it the next morning! Another restaurant we throughly enjoyed for lunch was Khin Khao for their Tom Yum soup. It is outstanding and full of prawns.

We had afew meals that we thought expensive and not worth the money, Kori's was one in poppies 2. The restaurant itself is lovely, and it is a beautiful spot. The food we ate was appalling a very very expensive. My husband and I both had green curry chicken. It was bland and had no taste to it let alone abit of spice. Friends we were with had garlic grilled prawns as a entree...4 little prawns for 65,000 plus tax. One of them also had the potatoe and cauli curry... she said it tasted like gravy. The restaurant was quite full so it obviously very popular. Maybe we ordered wrong. The other one we ate at that I thought so over rated is the popular (on other forums) Indonational. Maybe again we ordered wrong, as it also full of people. I had satay sticks and rice...more like satay sauce and rice. It was swimming in sauce and the sticks had very little meat on them. My husband ordered fish and chips and said the fish tasteless. Also, no sooner had we put our knife and fork down and the dish was whisked away, I hadnt even finished my garlic bread! We went to Vietnam on holiday last year and the food was incrediably cheap and on a whole 'vietnamese' food was quite nice...western food was often another story. This time I found Bali quite expensive especially with the tax added onto the meals and drinks. It is not the cheap holiday I remember it.

I'm not a really a shopper, but quite like browsing. So spent a morning up in Seminyak wandering into the boutiques and homeware stores. They have some different things to Kuta and Legian. We had lots of massages from various 'spas' near the hotel ranging from 50,000 to 100,000. I also managed to fit in a facial, pedicure and manicure. My husband was after a shave but because of a misunderstanding we ended up with a massage, coffee rub, creme shampoo and a rosepetal flower bath....long story...and no he didnt get his shave! Lots of laughs though....

On leaving Bali we went to the Prada Lounge in the airport for 100,000. We were there the two hours before departure and was pleasant waiting in there with free food (finger food) and a glass of G&T! The Premier Lounge quoted me 250,000, looked alot more upmarket.

Would I go back to Bali....this time by husband wasnt terribly impressed...but I had a blast...so I'd probably be able to twist his arm in a few years.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,878 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jbr 3-10 April

Thanks for taking the time to write your JBR, really interesting and informative. I have some questions if you don't mind - where in Seminyak is the Lucky Day and what's so special about the toilets? I have to see these!

And did you pre-book the Prada Lounge or just paid when you got there?

Cheers!

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jbr 3-10 April

Thanks for bothering to post a JBR! :-) I enjoyed reading it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jbr 3-10 April

Noodles I can answer the lounge question....just go there and pay when you get there. No need to book.

Thanks for the report swampee, it was a good read and it's always refreshing to hear honest opinions.

I'm starting to think that I'm a cheap skate when it comes to eating out in Bali. Maybe it's different in different areas, but we find southern Sanur alot cheaper for food than the prices that others seem to pay in other areas like Tuban, Seminyak etc. What does everyone else think?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jbr 3-10 April

Noodle, The Lucky Day Pub & Cuisine restaurant is in JL Camplung Tanduk Seminyak - Kuta ph0361 - 731925...as far as the toilets are concerned you will have to visit next time in Bali to find out:). There were a number of restaurants in that street, next time we visit I'd try a few more.

The Prada Lounge didnt have many people in it, maybe 30 all up and a large number of them where on our aircraft heading for Perth. Other than the Premier there is another one, I think it is the Dewi or something like that, it was abit further past the Prada, I'm not sure how much that was to get in, but from the outside it looked quite nice.

Winnie, I feel that to take the family now (my kids are teenagers) it would cost an absoulute fortune in Bali these days to eat. Gone are the days when they were happy to share a meal and have a glass of soft drink! I'd hate to think what 5 meals, (a couple probably seafood) and say 2 drinks each would cost! and don't forget to add the tax on at the end. Maybe I'm the cheap skate!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jbr 3-10 April

The Dewi lounge is 100,000 too, I think.

That's really interesting that you say that about the food swampee. We still find the food extremely cheap. I really do think it's an area by area issue. For example 8 of us (all adults) ate at Kesumas on the beach in Sanur. Most of us had 2 courses, we all had drinks, most had seafood as that is their specialty, and the bill was just over 500,000IDR. At the exchange rate then (January) it was about $10 Aussie each. We very rarely pay more than $10 a head for a meal.

Of course there are exeptions when we go somewhere special in say Ubud or Kuta etc, and there are more expensive places in Sanur too, but that is usually only a couple of times per trip.

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jbr 3-10 April

Swampee,

You are spot on with your opinion about the two restaurants you reckon are not value for money. You will find that the operators of one of these places built up their reputation by joining various travel forums under a variety of names and writing glowing reports about their own establishment.

Maybe it is time that you moved away from the overpriced tourist areas and come over to the nice side of the island.

I am about to head to a local (Sanur) hotel for a roast lunch. The going price for the meal is 40,000 rupiah.

I live a short stroll away from the Kesuma Restaurant that Whinnie has mentioned. A one kilo grilled snapper at 70,000 rupiah is a damn good deal.

The small warung down the road sells 10 satay sticks for 15,000 rupiah.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jbr 3-10 April

Whinnie and cempaka, I'd be the first to admit that we didnt eat in many warungs, we ate at one near the hotel and according to my diary it cost 90,000 for a chicken dish and rice which we shared with 2 large bintangs and a lemon juice. Exchange rate was just under 8000 so thats roughly $10 not bad value. But, the first night we were in Bali we ate at Nasi Bali Restaurant (heading towards Legian from Tuban - past poppies 2),food was lovely and we both really enjoyed it, so I'm not whinging about the quality. We had a for entree lumpia(2)and satay sticks on hot coals(8) which we shared, and rendang and water spinach with rice which we shared, 1 long island iced tea (cocktails are round about $9+ plus tax whereever we went) and 4 sml bintang, total 250,000 roughly $16 a head. Not break the bank cost, but even so I don't think that is cheap. But, if you take out the cocktail its about $12 a head....so maybe if next time I give up the cocktails it wont be so bad an I wont whinge!

Cempaka, yes I know who you are talking about, and i'm sure the only reason the restaurant is doing so well is because of the regulars who post how wonderful the owners are on other forums. We went about 5 years ago (last time in Bali) and the food I remember being pretty ordinary then. They have lost our business and we will not ever be back there again.

We stayed in Sanur many years ago, when the kids very little and it was great. Now I wonder if it would be too quiet which is why we tend to stay in and around Kuta/Legian. Next time we visit I will make the effort to go out one night for a meal.

8. Re: jbr 3-10 April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 22, 2009