We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sofitel Seminyak -v- Kartika Plaza

avalon beach nsw...
Level Contributor
604 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Sofitel Seminyak -v- Kartika Plaza

Hi, we are planning a trip to Bali next July 2009. We are 2 mums with 2 15yr boys into surfing. I have stayed at the Sofitel (formerly the Imperial) in 2001 and whilst we liked the location the Hotel itself left us a little cold. We stayed at Kartika in 2004 and enjoyed this hotel as much as the location. My question is has anyone stayed at either of these hotels recently and their opinion of same.

Any other hotel recommendations in the Tuban/Kuta/Legian/Seminyak areas in the AUD$250-$350.00 bracket would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tracey

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sofitel Seminyak -v- Kartika Plaza

Hi Tracey

We are going to Bali an the 27th Oct and will be staying at the Kantika on the last leg of our 2 week stay. My first time over there and looking forward to it. Highly recommended by our agent, who has stayed there and also a friend.

Keep you informed.

avalon beach nsw...
Level Contributor
604 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sofitel Seminyak -v- Kartika Plaza

Thank you for your reply. I look forward to your posting after your holiday. Have a fabulous time!

Regards, Tracey

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sofitel Seminyak -v- Kartika Plaza

Hi Tracey, i stayed at the Kartika a month ago....i even put a review on the hotel with some pics! It was a lovely hotel and for the boys they can head left on the footpath out the front of the hotel and hire a small boat & driver to take them out to the break for a surf! I'm not sure on the cost as it was my younger cousin who did it in 07.

Plus's for the Kartika always for me is the Centro next door and easy quick walking distance to central Kuta :)

Sanaa, Yemen
Level Contributor
372 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sofitel Seminyak -v- Kartika Plaza

I stay at the Discovery Kartika Plaza every year and my family and myself love it. The service is great, food and location are excellent. Plenty of restaurants and shops near the hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sofitel Seminyak -v- Kartika Plaza

The advantage of the Kartika would be access by boat to Airport break. Plus a walk up the beach comes to Kuta and then onto Legain for beach breaks.

Sofitel, while nice although rooms are only 4 star, faces more open waves which in July can be quite powerful and a long way back to Airport break/Kuta etc.

So more choice for surf at Kartika and also closer by car to Dreamland etc out towards Uluwata.

avalon beach nsw...
Level Contributor
604 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sofitel Seminyak -v- Kartika Plaza

Thank you everyone for your invaluable advice. Kartika seems the go! Regards, Tracey

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sofitel Seminyak -v- Kartika Plaza

Hi Tracey - returned from Bali a week ago. We stayed at three places while in Bali. The Santika 5 nights and 4 nights at Kartika and while in Tuban in between our time in Bali we went up to Ubud for 5 nights staying at the Komaneka. All great places to go. The Kartika has easy access to the beach and the ocean front rooms some are family are a good way to go and most likely in the price range you are looking at. I put a review on the hotels with photo's to look at as well. A big plus for the Kartika is the huge breakfast they provide that covers all tastes and would do for 'hungry teenagers'! More families here and also closer to shopping areas. The beach project that was in full swing a few weeks ago should be completed with the beach looking fantastic.

Enjoy your holiday next year..

Elizabeth

8. Re: Sofitel Seminyak -v- Kartika Plaza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, October 10, 2009