We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shampoo/sun cream etc

Magaluf, Spain
Level Contributor
297 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Shampoo/sun cream etc

Hi,

Is it easy to buy decent shampoo, conditioner and sun creams or would I be better off getting them before I go.

Cheers

Beatster

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shampoo/sun cream etc

Hi beatser

For the first time this year i could not take my shampoo and conditioner. (Husbands orders!!)Took everything else in the way of toiletries but shampoo and conditioner are pretty heavy and now with the new liquid laws we cannot carry a make up bag as cabin luggage so all toiletries need to go into check in luggage and it increases the weight. I always take my sunscreen from home.

You can buy good bottles of shampoo and conditioner at the supermarkets and can buy it at the Circle K stores.

I don't know what your sunscreens are like in Spain, in Oz we need to buy good ones for good sun protection, but you can also buy these at the above stores and there is now a big supermarket come K Mart type store called Carrefour (think its French owned) and you can get a really good range here..

Cheers Burns

Magaluf, Spain
Level Contributor
297 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shampoo/sun cream etc

Thanks Burns,

Same here (other half's instructions not to take shampoo and conditioner). I mean, he needs to take all of his fishing stuff with the extra weight!!!!!

I'll take my chances and get it there. We have Carrefour here and it's a pretty good shop.

Thanks again

Beatster

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shampoo/sun cream etc

Wow, if your bags are too heavy on the way over you are in trouble. My stuff fits in my cabin bag (up until the new laws now my toiletry bag has to be checked).

I have small refillable shampoo and conditioner containers. Your hair gets very dry in Bali with the sun, swimming etc. I take booster conditioner or get a creme bath for my hair every 5 days. You can buy decent stuff there for a good price.

Suncream is expensive as it's imported. I always bring it.

Magaluf, Spain
Level Contributor
297 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shampoo/sun cream etc

Hi,

When you say sun screen is expensive, how expensive do you mean. It's about US$20 for a bottle here. Is it more than that in Bali.

Bags probably won't be too heavy on the way therebut just trying to cut down on the things that aren't really necessary as we go to Thailand and Malaysia before Bali and then back to Thailand for another month so will probably collect lots of extra weight along the way.

Cheers

Beatster

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shampoo/sun cream etc

OMG $US20 NO it is not that expensive there. I'd say a good one for $10.

I was basing it on my prices at home sorry. I should have put a rough price.

Yes I know what it's like moving around. We went around America for 5 weeks. From Las Vegas (hot) to an Alaskan cruise (cold). Packing was really difficult.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shampoo/sun cream etc

HI Catalyst

Yes! i probably take too many clothes, (other half always on to me about it, cause for him its just, a few t shirts, singlet tops and shorts (buy more when we get there)although i don't really buy clothes for myself when we stay maybe just sarongs. We are planning to visit our son in London in 2years and i said we are going back pack, no way am i taking a suitcase, so how do you think i will go! Just may need two backpacks!! for myself.

The second suitcase contained give aways. For our friends, staff at hotel and their children, etc. mixture of clothes, bags , soft toys, exercise books, colour in books and pencils and we have collected the small bottles of shampoo, cond. and soaps from hotels stays and because they had to go in check in luggage, they on their own weighed a 'ton'. It does not take long for 20kg to mount up. Well for some of us anyway!!!

Then because we were over with our check in luggage, we had to have our hand luggage weighed (lst time this has happened) and we were also over, so had the choice of paying excess or unloading and ended up with a large plastic bag of the heavier items, (books and the toiletries) left behind with my parents. I have since learned from the forum to leave carry on luggage with someone else while at check in counter, but at that stage my parents had'nt arrived and we wanted to check early we had our seats. (previously asked for)

So next trip i have been informed 'we won't be taking as much'. Guess what hit the garage sales a couple of weekends ago, bought heaps of good clothes and other things, so they are already in the suitcase and who's idea was it.!! Enough said.

Cheers Burns

7. Re: Shampoo/sun cream etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, September 13, 2009