We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legian, Kuta or South Kuta?

brisbane
3 posts
Legian, Kuta or South Kuta?

Hello,

My boyfriend & I are 1st time travellers to bali, we are spending 3 nites in Nusa Dua & 3 nites in Sanur. We have 8 nites spare in which we have not decided where to stay.

I am concerned 8 nites in Kuta might be a bit heatic as I hear it is very busy. I have been told Legian is a short walk from Kuta, but how short is short? We are looking at places to stay either in Legian, Kuta or South Kuta. We want to be close to Kuta but not kept awake by the clubs.

What advice can you offer for a couple in their mid 20's who are not interested in spending all nite at the clubs & bars & can you give me an idea of what Kuta is really like?

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Legian, Kuta or South Kuta?

hi

yes i'de say say at legian .

your fare enough away to not hear the night clubs ....lol

if your constantly walking ( without stopping to look at shops ( which is hard to do ) your looking at a 20 - 30 minute walk depending on your speed , along the beach is a nice walk , no interuptions either besides the odd person trying to sell you something .

cheers

batt

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Legian, Kuta or South Kuta?

Legian is my preferred area. Better restaurants, shopping etc. The 2 suburbs (Legian and Kuta now merge). So depending where in Legian or Kuta, can be 1 minute to half an hour. You don't really need to go to Kuta. You won't know the difference as you walk south anyway. It's just more shops. I don't think Tuban (south Kuta) will suit your needs.

Kuta/Legian is busy but I love it. It's never dull but only if you stay right in the middle of the few clubs in Kuta will you have a problem. List a few hotels you are looking at and we can tell you if they are near clubs.

Travel agents always tell people to stay away from Kuta. It can be a bit in your face for newcomers. As long you are not easily intimidated it is great.

After Nusa Dua and Sanur you might want some nightlife. So it would be good to be in an area where you can walk to a restaurant or bar/nightclub.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
3. Re: Legian, Kuta or South Kuta?

Hi gettinripped

Since we have just had an Election here, I vote for Legian also.

Catalyst is right Tuban (Sth Kuta) is a good hike along Jl Kartika Plaza into Kuta and more so to Legian. You can walk along the beach if the tide is out. Tuban is pretty quiet that is compared to Kuta and the beach isn't that great. Kuta/Legian beach is a lovely walk, early morning before or after breakfast, late afternoon.

Good choice of hotels, restaurants, shopping and there is night life.

Kuta at night around Poppies 1 and 2 is where you have a mixture of cheap warungs and other restaurants. You have a lot of young Europeans, and Japanese and surfers who eat here. There are lots of shops for your board shorts, t shirts etc. Lots of traffic, bikes going in every direction, so have to give way lots of time and to the odd car as well. We walk the back lanes which does not take that long from Legian, sometimes go back along Legian st, but beach front seems to be a quick walk also. After Jl Melasti, there is a paved path along the beach front, and it is a lovely quiet stroll back to your hotel, no traffic. (But when your legs are starting to feel tired your hotel seems so.......far away).

Cheers Burns

'

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
220 posts
99 reviews
4. Re: Legian, Kuta or South Kuta?

Legian is walking distance to shops and restaurants but away from night club noise. We stayed at Puri Raja and it was a great 3-4 star hotel. If you want something classier than maybe Padma or Madira would be better.

Can I suggest going to Ubud. We loved Ubud more than the beach area which was a surprise to us. Ubud is a lot more cultured than the beach areas with lovely Balinese people and lots of great artists. I found shopping there more relaxing than Kuta/Legian as you didnt get harassed on the street and every few shops there were nice art galleries (paintings were well priced). The restaurants there are gorgeous with the Dirty Duck and Indus having great views of rice paddies and hills.

Definitely recommend staying at Komaneka Resort on Monkey Forest Rd which is 5 star and absolutely amazing food and service. Its also walking distance to everything but very peaceful inside the hotel.

brisbane
3 posts
5. Re: Legian, Kuta or South Kuta?

Thank you everyone for your replies, Iam so overwhelmed with all our choices. Our travel agent has recommended a few places to us such as the Ramayana, hotel Sanitka, the Melasti, the Legian beach hotel, Bali Mandira.

I have read good things about the Bali Niksoma & Padma but they are a bit out of our price range.

I know every place is going to have its good & bad reviews but I really don't want to be stuck in an old shack of a place where the rooms are tiny & feel dirty because they are so old.

Please help

Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Legian, Kuta or South Kuta?

We are very like you my boyfriend and I are going to Bali in Feb for our first time (well his) and we are staying at Hotel Santika in a garden bungalow... We checked out all the hotels on your list and found that the santika had people raving about it, it looks really beautiful and sounds amazing. It is far enough out of kuta but not too far about a 5-6 minute walk, either via the streets or beach. I would really look at this hotel, we did so much research and I am telling you this place sounds so great!!! It has just been refurbished and a third pool built and is right on the beach!

Any questions just ask.

7. Re: Legian, Kuta or South Kuta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, September 14, 2009