We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Padi open water course Bali

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Padi open water course Bali

Hi

we are looking at doing out open water certification whilst in bali in may '08

there are so many different operators with very different prices, can anyone reccommend any operation?

also, is it better to do the course in a package wiht accommodation or find our own digs for the time?

any information would be a great help

cheers

Nina

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Padi open water course Bali

Hi, to do a full open water dive course (properly) takes weeks. I haven't looked into the courses there but would be wary.

Is it an Australian certified course (PADI)?

I did my first course with a not so good dive operator and didn't realize how much we weren't taught until I did my advanced course years later. It's not just a matter of learning how to swim with a tank on your back. There are real dangers of air embolism etc if you are not taught safety techniques.

Don't get me wrong, they may be fine but ask how long the course takes and exactly how much theory and practical dive lessons you get. What qualifications do the instructors have etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Padi open water course Bali

Thanks, we are going to do a PADI course, interestingly a lot of the open water courses offered in australia are 3-4 days much like Bali.

Still going to do it so could you let me know of the operation that was no good?

cheers

Nina

Bali
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Padi open water course Bali

Hi nhingley,

My favourite place in Candi Dasa, Bali Shangrila Beach Club has a dive shop and PADI course with a qualified western dive master.

The place is also nice and clean and the beach with around US$40/night.

Hope this helps,

Sandra

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Padi open water course Bali

The course wasn't in Bali.

Are the courses 3 full days? How much in water time?

I would hate to think people are going out on their own after 3 days training.

Good luck with your course. Make sure you read through your dive book in case some things aren't covered.

I've done dive master training and some people you take out are scary. No idea of safety checks etc.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Padi open water course Bali

I did my PADI Open Water diving certification in Bali last year. I don't consider myself to be much of an aquatic sports person, in fact I have a bit of a fear of the ocean so my doing the course was also very much about confronting this fear. That being said, I felt that the three days it took to do the course were sufficient and I was very happy with the experience. I used ProDive and did the course in Nusa Lembongan, which is reputed to be one of the best dive areas of Bali (as I later learned from other divers who were going out as I was doing my practice dives). They gave me some CD's to watch and the PADI manuel to read on my own time, so that meant two full nights "cramming" instead of lounging around the island. In that sense they didn't do any hand holding, I was responsible for learning the material and of course, there were brief exams to take before getting into the pool. All my dives were supervised by the dive instructor and I felt that there was proper attention paid to safety precautions, both with the equipment as well as once in the water. We organised our own accommodation and set up the course ourselves, but a package may have come out a bit cheaper. I paid roughly 300 euro for the course.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Padi open water course Bali

Thankyou everyone for your responses.

We are looking forward to learning in Bali but advancing our skills further when we get back to Australia.

Thanks for the words of warning Catalyst, you never know how dodgy some places can be, i think im going to aim for a mid price range with a lot of referrals from other divers.

cheers to all :D

7. Re: Padi open water course Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, September 12, 2009