We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel Which choice????????

sunshine coast...
Level Contributor
656 posts
Save Topic
hotel Which choice????????

Hi there,

Have been looking at different hotels and are totally confused!!!!!!!

We have narrowed it down to Kartika Plaza,Ramada Bingtang in the Tuban area,and then are considering Kumala Pantai ,and Jayakarta Hotel where we can get access to 1 and 2 bedroom units that are let privately thru the owner and are furnished to a very high standard .

Which area is the nicer as in beach ? We live at Mooloolaba in Qld so we are thoroughly spoilt in the beach department!!!!!! Also shopping ,restaraunts is Tuban or Legian the better spot for these??

We have been to Phuket earlier this year and stayed in an absolutely beautiful 4 to 5 star resort so are a bit fussy !!!!!

Does any one have any other suggestions as in a nice hotel

?Ihave thoroughly gone thru reviews ,brochures etc

Hoopefully you can guide me a bit !!!!!!!

Thanks Sue

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel Which choice????????

Why don't you stay in the Seminyak area? The beach is the same as in Tuban and Kuta - it is one VERY long beach but you are closer to the really good restaurants and shopping.

Why don't you try for the Sofitel which is right on the beach?

Alternatively, you could try a villa which is a lovely alternative to a hotel.

If you want to go shopping in Kuta/Legian then it is only a 10-15 minutes taxi drive and taxis are very cheap in Bali.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
710 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel Which choice????????

While the Kumala Pantai is ok (in a Beverley Hills 90210 sort of style - full of Aussies on holidays, so you wont be missing the accents :-)), the Jayakarta is nothing flash. Neither could be classed as 4-star on their best days.

Agree with earlier post from ilab, however the Sofitel still has a fair amount of building going on the beach side.

Nearby, The Legian and The Oberoi are really very good, and as for villas, it depends on your budget.

How large is your party? Ilab's suggestion of a villa might be a better option, and there are some very good ones in the beach precinct at Seminyak.

perth
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel Which choice????????

hello

the beach near Ramada & Kartika Plaza is not good. Those hotels are close to Kuta Square/shopping/markets but I would not stay at Ramada. Kumala Pantai, I have stayed there, however it is close to Double Six nightclub area and we did not get a good night's sleep due to the rave type doof doof doof until nearly dawn almost every night! Really spoilt the holiday! When the nightclub was not open the b......... amorous frogs outside in the pond tended to drive you mad!!!!! The Kartika Plaza is probably the only hotel you mention that will be "better class". There are plenty of shops/restaurants all around and a taxi is cheap so it does not matter where you stay. Next time we go we are staying at Le Meridien Nirwana Tanah Lot. About 40 minutes from the airport.

We know we will have to utilise hotel shuttle bus and/or taxis but it is a lovely hotel in great surroundings. Perhaps you should consider what others suggest in relation to Seminyak or villas

cheers

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel Which choice????????

hi, it is hard to decide on a hotel. as far as the beach is concerned I know what you are used to at mooloolaba as I live on the sunshine coast also and the beaches are fantastic!

the beach in bali stretching from where you mention in Tuban to seminyak, just north of legian is about 7km inn length and has waves the whole stretch. the sand tuban , kuta end is more 'white'. the sand at legian in front of the 2 hotels you mention has some 'black' in it. we were just there in july and my little girl played in it and yes she definatley got black sand over her skin and in her swimmers. the kumala pantai and jayakarta are almost next to each other and are nice hotels. as i said bf the kumala pantai is very nice and i was surprised by the qualtiy of it for the price. the surrounding restaurants have good value food.

shopping in the two areas you mention:-

as for shopping. well i do heaps of it as i buy and bring back containers from bali.

basically the 'everyday tousisty items' such as t shirts, board shorts, slip ons, souveniers and the like are widely available in both areas.

in legian and seminyak areas along Jl legian and surrounds there are a lot of 'boutique' type shops in this area. you can come across some nice dresses, homewares and the like.

there is also the bintang supermarket in legian.

down the other end in tuban/south kuta you have two larger shopping centres. one is the matahari which is also surrounded by markets, and shops selling versace and other brands. the matahari has groceries , book store and speciality stores on the lower levels and clothing, shoes, home wares etc top levels. there are coffee shops, KFC and lots of places selling dvd's and cds etc here also, (this is where the second bombing occurred in this area) the discovery shopping mall is also here which you may enjoy, it is a little more upmarket but has lots to offer including a good bakery. a taxi trip takes about 5 minutes between the two areas (but can take a lot longer in the busy times of the day as it is 1 way and a very narrow street) or it would be a good 30 minute walk along the beach. the hotels you have narrowed down to are good. may i suggest having a look at a website called "webshots" you can often see good candid photos of hotels.

i spent a week in legian on my last trip, but my favourite place to stay is in sanur at the bali hyatt.

5. Re: hotel Which choice????????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 11, 2009