We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Timer

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
1st Timer

I am a first time oversea's traveller and am off to Bali next week. Although I am going with 4 other girls, they have been there plenty of times and are more interested in sitting by the pool. I will be staying in Tanah Lot and would like to know if I am safe walking around the shopping area's here and in Kuta by myself during the day?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,933 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Timer

i travel with my husband but i like to go out and do some shopping on my own i can't see any problems, and the shopping is good. get a taxi to geneva shop at kerobokan (just north of kuta) there are heaps of taxis so when you have finished there get another cab and move on to the next lot of shops. we will be in bali in a couple of weeks also.

ps if you don't want to go on your own there will always be a nice local who will go with you just pay them to go with you. wages are cheap over there and many people would appreciate the few dollars it would cost you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Timer

Thanks for that. You hear so many different opinions of the people on the streets over there, so I was unsure. Not too keen on taking a local with me as that would probably feel a bit weird, but its a great idea.

Shopping tips are great, so the more I can learn prior to going the better ....Thanks

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Timer

Hi,

You will be safe. Don't worry. I'm not sure if you know it, but Tanah Lot is pretty far from Kuta. You will have to take a cab to the shops and etc...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Timer

I heard that it is about 30 minutes by car?? Unfortunately when you are the last one to get involved in the organising of the trip, you don't get a lot of choice on where everyone is staying!! Thankfully, where we are has a driver, so that should help a bit.

Are there public phones there? How do you call drivers etc....

One week to go - getting nervous. I really have no idea what to expect

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Timer

Don't worry you will be fine! Bali is a very safe place!

Just use common sense as you would any where regarding your valuables etc - I find Bali much safer than NZ or Aus!

Re phones - just bring your Australian Mobile phone and buy a local prepay phone number here... you can buy them very cheaply all over the place here - just ask your driver to take you... they will set it all up for you. (You don't get much credit on the initial card so you should buy some extra credit also 25 - 50,000) This way you can SMS or call cheaply and conveniently.

6. Re: 1st Timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 01, 2009