We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grab taxi at airport

Asia
Level Contributor
26 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Grab taxi at airport

On arrival at Bali, I tried to get a Grab taxi from the airport. Apparently the driver told me you can only board the Grab taxi from the departure and not the arrival side. What’s more, I was told to pay additional 100 K idr for the “airport tax” and “parking” (the latter which I found was only 11 K for 3 hours). The cost of the supposed trip from airport to hotel shown on the app was only 45 K idr.

Is this how it’s supposed to be? Or was I scammed?

7 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,562 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grab taxi at airport

Assume you went to Kuta

Scammed.

No taxis are allowed to operate at arrivals except the official Taxi cooperative so being picked up from departures or going to departures to grab a Bluebird is the norm.

The "IDR100K Aiport tax etc" is a scam. The parking is only IDR10k.

I went the other way around last month from the Grand Inna down the beach front oneway system, down Poppies 2 to Jalan Legian to the Airport and cost IDR55k including the IDR10k parking.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Grab taxi at airport

If you think you are scamed then never use grab agan! Please take a local taxi.

Asia
Level Contributor
26 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grab taxi at airport

Noted. Just wanted to see if anyone else had been told the same thing.

Considering it was under Grab... I must say it’s pretty unscrupulous. I experienced a similar scam from Grab bike in Myanmar though not as ridiculous as this one.

Thanks anyway!

United States
Level Contributor
833 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grab taxi at airport

That’s a scam.

Still probably better than taking the taxi, though.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
780 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grab taxi at airport

You were scammed.

denpasar
Level Contributor
832 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grab taxi at airport

100k is definitely scam, maybe driver know you are foreigner..

Really for 145k you should just take airport taxi. Will cost roughly the same.

Btw grab had many bad incidents in indonesia.. you should go with gojek, they ahve better driver filter

Asia
Level Contributor
26 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grab taxi at airport

Yea. Unfortunately I was told about the extra charge after finding the departure area and locating the driver. If I wasn’t tired enough after the entire walking around with my backpack and being hounded by so many other drivers (the latter really made for a really unpleasant arrival experience), I would’ve made the effort to look for a cheaper and more trusty driver! Lesson learnt!

Would go-jek charge more for foreigners since it’s a local app? Interestingly the Grab driver was telling me all about go-jek.

Thanks everyone!

Reply to: Grab taxi at airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted