We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities near Ubud w/ teens & 9 year old.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
939 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Activities near Ubud w/ teens & 9 year old.

We'll be staying in Ubud for 5 nights with our two teens and 9 year old. I've hired a driver for 2 full days while there (we are staying the final 2 nights in Seminyak for beach). I'm hoping you all can provide some suggestions for the following:

Walk to places from our hotel Alam Indah and "drive to" places with the driver. I'd rather not spend more than 1 hour driving to a site, if possible. Makes for a long day in the car.

Things to do that involve walking/hiking/riding etc. Basically physical activity. While we do like to visit shrines and museums, we need some action. I'd like to visit a rice paddy, for example, but would like to do so on a bike or something.

Restaurants near hotel or in Ubud that provide either an experiential meal (like a show perhaps?) or particular or traditional Balinese food.

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Alam Indah
Alam Indah
441 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
10 replies to this topic
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
8,107 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities near Ubud w/ teens & 9 year old.

Alam Indah is in a lovely location in the village of Nyuh Kuning, we have stayed in a hotel directly across the road 20 times, and will return again later this year. There are many restaurants in Nyuh Kuning, and near to your hotel is Laka Leke which has dance shows on a few evenings each week. If you want cheap and tasty local food, Warung Pojok on the corner near the soccer field (about 4-5 minutes walk from your hotel) is wonderful and very cheap.

Of course, your hotel is right next to the monkey forest, which contains 3 temples for you to see as well as the monkeys, and you can walk uptown via the bike path beside the forest.

For things to do, if on a computer, there is a things to do tab at the top of the page. You'll find lots of ideas and links to bike rides, white water rafting etc.

See my post 2 here for some other local restaurant ideas

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29770…

Mentioned in this post
Alam Indah
Alam Indah
441 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Nyuh Bali Villas
Nyuh Bali Villas
359 Reviews
Seminyak, Indonesia
Laka Leke Restaurant
Laka Leke Restaurant
666 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Warung Indonesia
Warung Indonesia
935 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Atlanta
Level Contributor
939 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities near Ubud w/ teens & 9 year old.

cbimages, Thank you so much for the great endorsement of the area! I did try to pick something near the town for walking to and fro (easier w/ the whole family). I know there are many internet "to do" lists, but it is sometimes hard to figure out if we can walk to them (b/c 3 days w/ no car) and/or how far a drive the sites are.

I'll look at Laka Leke and Warung Pojok. And that's great to know about the temples in monkey forest!

Mentioned in this post
Laka Leke Restaurant
Laka Leke Restaurant
666 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Warung Indonesia
Warung Indonesia
935 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Canberra
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities near Ubud w/ teens & 9 year old.

Puri Lukisan in Ubud has various workshops that may suit your family.

See: http://museumpurilukisan.com/workshop/

Mentioned in this post
Nelayan Restaurant & Puri Bar
Nelayan Restaurant...
242 Reviews
Jimbaran, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities near Ubud w/ teens & 9 year old.

Downhill bike rides and white water rafting are very popular.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
939 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities near Ubud w/ teens & 9 year old.

Booked a bike tour in Ubud/rice paddies etc! Brilliant. Also emailed Alam Indah about Laka Leke but they said no need to do so early in advance and they'd handle it when we arrive. AND inspired by elsaif's link, I talked to youngest about a workshop and set older child to find private gamelon lessons (he's a musician). I think we'll even do a gamelon family session. Things are shaping up!

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Alam Indah
Alam Indah
441 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Laka Leke Restaurant
Laka Leke Restaurant
666 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
perth
Level Contributor
183 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities near Ubud w/ teens & 9 year old.

We stayed down the road at Alam Shanti a few years back - absolutely beautiful little village and amazing individual hotels in the group! We enjoyed walking to Ubud centre through the monkey forest.

White water rafting, the ridge walk, driver to tegalang rice terraces, the teens might be interested in visiting the Bali swing place. All well within 1 hour drive.

Mentioned in this post
Alam Shanti
Alam Shanti
582 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Bali Swing
Bali Swing
239 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,562 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities near Ubud w/ teens & 9 year old.

Hi RB,

Why have you 'booked' everything in advance, driver already for 2 days and now already a bike tour.

Generally people are advised to book once in Bali. Not only for best prices but for convenience to yourself. You can book tours/activities/drivers simply the day before.

In addition you said you've booked a driver for 2 days but only want to go 1hrs drive. Why book a driver for 2 days but not want to go anywhere.

1hrs drive from Ubud won't really get you anywhere.

e.g. a typical day tour north from Ubud might be to Bali Botanic Gardens and Treetop Adventure Park then Ulun Danu Bratan.

YOur kids (and maybe you also) might enjoy the TreeTop adventure park but is outside of your "1hr" drive. It takes 1h30 to get there straight drive from Ubud.

Traffic in Bali is fairly slow going and you won't average much more than 20mph even on straight drives.

e.g. Ubud is only 25miles from DPS Airport but invariably take 1h30 so your "1hr' wouldn't even get you to/from the airport or Seminyak.

TRANSFERS

To save you specific tours then when you transfer from Ubud to Seminyak simply visit Taman Ayun temple gardens then Tanah Lot then check in to your Seminyak hotel

You should also be aware that a Private Driver for the day costs IDR600k ~$45.9am to 6/7pm ish.

That is for the whole van privately to yourself NOT per person. Do/see what you want. Stop where you want for as long as you want.

You can also hire drivers for shorter times. Expect to pay IDR400k ~ $30 for 6hrs.

ACTIVITIES

All activities in Bali (like Whitewater rafting, cycling tours etc) will include free pickup/dropoff services so you do not need your own driver.

It is generally best to book activities once in Bali.

e.g. Whitewater rafting takes place on the Ayung and Telaga Waja rivers near Ubud. Ayung recommended for families. Telaga Waja trips longer and "whiter". 9 yr old can go on the Telaga Waja trip.

Both trips often advertised online for $60 (IDR800k) but booked locally can often be had for IDR400k/$30 or even less. People have often got these trips for IDR300k.

Also avoid combo tours like WWR then quad biking. Again online expensive and when a combo often cut down versions of the normal tours and more expensive than booking them separately for separate days

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Bali Treetop Adventure Park
Bali Treetop Adventure...
711 Reviews
Bedugul, Indonesia
Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa
Ulun Ubud Resort & Spa
232 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Bali Ngurah Rai Airport
Bali Ngurah Rai Airport
Denpasar, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Taman Ayun Temple
Taman Ayun Temple
1,387 Reviews
Mengwi, Indonesia
Tanah Lot
Tanah Lot
Bali, Indonesia
australia
Level Contributor
432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activities near Ubud w/ teens & 9 year old.

Hi, you will be staying in a beautiful area of Ubud, lucky you! I can highly recommend Tree Tops, as stated above it is a little longer than 1 hr but a fascinating drive, and quite a bit to see once in the area of Tree Tops. When you go down to Seminyak, Waterbom really is a must for kids, teens and 'big kids', I wasn't at all keen the first time and have been back 3 times. If you like walking check out the numerous walks very close to Ubud central, Jl Kajeng rice walk, Campuhan ridge walk and around Penestanan. Have a wonderful holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Waterbom Bali
Waterbom Bali
11,769 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Campuhan Ridge Walk
Campuhan Ridge Walk
4,677 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Atlanta
Level Contributor
939 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Activities near Ubud w/ teens & 9 year old.

Bali swing looks lovely. My youngest actually would love that.

Notapigsty, Wonderful suggestions. Thank you! I feel silly about the 1 hour's drive for a full day driver, now that you point it out. I suppose at the time I just figured that we could do multiple things about an hour away, but that was presumptuous. As for booking before arrival, I prefer this (at least for a few things) so that I don't have to make too many decisions once there. More relaxing for me. Plus, in many other places we've visited, you must book months, even a year, in advance for popular activities. Having never been to Bali, I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. I also had a personal recommendation from several people re a specific company/driver (he is very affordable) and so I wanted to make sure I could get him. I really, really like your suggestion of visiting some spots en route to Seminyak. That makes perfect sense!

I shall check out those walks! Two of you have suggested the ridge walk, so that sounds like a winner.

Edited: 1:15 pm, June 08, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
perth
Level Contributor
183 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Activities near Ubud w/ teens & 9 year old.

Have to say I prefer to book a driver before arrival. Many of the highly recommended drivers are booked months in advance. I agree I find it more relaxing to have a few things like a driver in place beforehand to minimise the amount of decisions to be made while on holidays!

Reply to: Activities near Ubud w/ teens & 9 year old.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;