We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Moon festival in April

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Topic
Full Moon festival in April

Don't know if anyone can confirm this information.

Apparently in April - May (only once a year), there is a 13 day festival during the full moon where villages celebrate with ceremonial dances, ritual battles, long processions at a particular temple.

Which temple would this be and a specific date would be great, hoping we are there for this at the end of April.

Presume it is different to New Year in Bali festival.

Cheers

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full Moon festival in April

Hi there,

I'm racking my brain trying to remember the area that has the ritual battles (not that common as far as I know...) I am pretty sure it is the Karangasem regency (round Candidasa way) I vaguely remember something about the ritual battles becoming not so ritual between a couple of villages youth a few years ago!

We have just had a 2 week big full moon festival around Sanur - I have a couple of auspicious temples across, and also down the Rd from my house (one is where they do the cremations!!!) and last week we couldn't even drive (or practically walk) down our St! about 2000 people all dressed in white... (I couldn't even get in my own doorway for all the people! LOL!) wish I had taken some photos!

Anyway here is a link that will tell you exactly where and when the major ceremonies are in Bali

http://www.indo.com/indonesia/events.html

All the Best!

Brigid

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Full Moon festival in April

BrigidE, I think that may have been the full moon festival I was told about, all in white, etc. sounds like I may have missed it, bummer!

I will have a look at the site you suggested just in case there is something else around the time we are there.

Have a great Easter!

Avalon Beach...
Level Contributor
822 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full Moon festival in April

The Bali Aga village of Tenganan, which is 7kms from Candidasa has the ritual battle called "Mekara-kare", 2 men fight with thorny pandan leaves until one bleeds! Its an annual event, but its held in June.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Full Moon festival in April

As far as I know there is one 'ritual batle' held in East Bali. This year will happen on June 28/29.

For end of April note the date of April 28. There will be special ceremony help through out Bali. The ceremony is dedicated to any tools that made of iron/metal include daggers, chissel, car and others. Those tools are important and very helpfull to Balinese therefore by holding this ceremony they would like to thank to GOD for the existance of this 'iron' tools.

You will witness, most cars will be decorated with offering on this day.

Hope it help .

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Full Moon festival in April

Thanks for your input.

The ritual battle ceremony is the one I was told about, alas I will miss that one in June. Sound really interesting - dont know about the blood though.

The one on 28 April, I will check out the site BrigidE suggested for a specific date/time and see if we can catch that ceremony.

6. Re: Full Moon festival in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, August 30, 2009