We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber Report Jan/Feb 2018

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
74 reviews
Uber Report Jan/Feb 2018

Airport:

Didn't know it was illegal at the airport. As soon as I got out of Arrivals I was bombarded by drivers, more than I have ever been in the five other times I've been here. They wanted 300K to Seminyak and I refused. I happened to meet a girl who ran up to me asking if we could split a ride since it was really expensive. She had been waiting there an hour for someone to share a ride with. I got an Uber which was around 70K, but it never came and the pick up point was unclear, all the while we were harassed by drivers literally every step of the way. Uber was cancelled, we settled on 200K to Seminyak, which was still way too much. I usually book a hotel pick up for 100-150K, so a taxi should be less. I just wanted to get out of there. One reason huge reason why Uber is great is that the fare is stated up front, no haggling needed, no harassment from 672 drivers wanting to rip you off.

Uber in Ubud:

I saw the illegal signs, but the appeal of the up front Uber price of 180K to the airport and hotel pick up was appealing. Otherwise I would've had to go up and down the street and negotiate. I called the Uber and he immediately started messaging me on Whatsapp, which I knew wasn't a good sign. He wanted 350K for the ride, which I got down to 300K because it's what I've paid in the past. During high season I've been asked to pay 4-500K in the past, and didn't know any better. According to my expat friend, a ride the airport should cost no more than 180K from Ubud.

I was annoyed by the bait and switch with the Uber, but I already wasted time over it and needed to get to the airport already. He made a huge deal about not saying he's Uber. I asked why does he even use the app if he doesn't follow the rules. He said because the government will heavily tax him so he doesn't want to be tracked. I didn't know anything about the Ubud taxi mafia thing, so I don't know if he was telling the truth.

Within Ubud I used motorbikes taxis. I read that it should be 15K for a short ride but I couldn't get them past 20K, with 25K being the most accepted rate.

Uber in Seminyak/Denpasar:

In Seminyak I just hop into a Blue Taxi and meter it. Sometimes they try to overcharge me up front and I just hop out and get another one.

I had to go to the hospital in Denpasar and see a doctor because I was sick. For my ride home I called an Uber. 40K to Seminyak. Didn't really see many taxis on the street like there are in tourist central. Smooth ride and the guy was really cool and super sweet, but he also messaged me later on to try and sell me things. He said that only tourists use Uber and he loves to drive because he has alot of fun talking to tourists. He feels Bali should adopt Uber because it's modern and what the tourists want.

For my second ride to the airport using Uber, everything was fine, 60K from Seminyak, but he also had me pay 50K for the ticket to get into the airport. TBH, I couldn't read the ticket so I don't know if this price was valid. I saw 4R/6R 50,000. I assumed I had to pay 50K, although at the ticket booth I saw numbers 4000, 6000. Either way it was only 110K total.

Trying hard not to be a sucka, but I still get hustled 🤣

18 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,649 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Uber Report Jan/Feb 2018

Hi delite,

For the future.

UBER is legal in Bali but just "unwelcome" in many Areas. Can lead to extreme Aggression towards both Driver and passenger. This can happen especially in Ubud.

Grabcar is a bit more accepted but again avoid in Ubud.

UBER in Bali is seen as direct competition to taxi Services. They are legal now but Officially they were banned as they were operating as a "taxi" service without fulfilling the official regulations of a taxi Operators licence; whereas Grabcar is seen more of a way of putting private Drivers in contact with customers.

Despite now being legal there is a lot of animosity towards them.

CANGGU has its own Driver "Mafia" and doesn't even like Bluebirds doing pickups. All "outside" Driver Services in Canggu are unwelcome so if you ever go don't even think of trying to call an Uber, Grabcar etc to pick you up.

OFFICIAL TAXI COOPERATIVE - DPS ARRIVALS

There is an Official Ngurah Rai Cooperative that has the licence to Operate at Arrivals. Even local Official Bluebirds are not allowed to operate at arrivals.

Firstly only the local taxi cooperative is allowed to operate at Airport Arrivals. They have a desk next door to the Info Desk just after you walk through the Little Dufry shop.

Go to the Office and book a ticket. You will be taken to your taxi/Driver.

DPS to Seminyak official fare is IDR110k - can be a bit "fluid" sometimes especially in the evenings or when busy.

ALTERNATIVE is to walk outside arrivals and go upstairs to Departures and get a Bluebird dropping somebody off.

The Driver Service right next to the Exit door at Arrivals is very expensive. They tried to Charge us IDR250k just to go to Legian Beach Hotel 3 years ago - jog on.

GENERAL TAXIS

Official Bluebirds on a meter are very good value for short journeys.

bluebirdgroup.com/bluebirdtbk/regular-taxi

The Ngurah Rai Taxis of the Airport taxi cooperative are also Blue - dark navy blue.

There are however some "blue Taxis" some with very whizzy meters.

australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
2. Re: Uber Report Jan/Feb 2018

Interestingly, we were in Bali recently, staying in Seminyak. Thought I'd check out Canggu so hailed a metered Bluebird taxi and he took us to the area of Finns Beach Club. We had a wander around while the driver parked his taxi a little way up the street and we met him in a local warung and after he finished his snack, away we went back to Seminyak. Never a problem at all but my temperament wouldn't look for a problem although I'm also a traveller with commonsense. I don't think I'll ever understand the attitude of drivers in the areas that do not welcome official metered taxis. Creates such ill feelings some times.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
865 posts
3. Re: Uber Report Jan/Feb 2018

I have no idea where you friend got the price of IRD180K Ubud to airport from, I have been going to Ubud for 10 years and have never got that price, usually it ranges from IRD30k to IRD35K.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
874 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Uber Report Jan/Feb 2018

$3?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
74 reviews
5. Re: Uber Report Jan/Feb 2018

I think you meant 300-350K?

My friend is actually an American expat that's been living there and t running business there for the past ten years, lives in an actual Balinese community, and speaks Indonesian fluently. What you've been paying is the tourist price. Tourists always get charged more.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
74 reviews
6. Re: Uber Report Jan/Feb 2018

NotaPigsty.. question!

Every driver at the airport flashes this "Official Airport Taxi ID" to prove their legitimacy. Personally, I always assumed it was as legit as my $5 fake ID when I was 16 years old. Do all the drivers get this fake ID made up to look official and just hang out at the airport? Do they just drive in and hang out and fish for tourists?

I also caught onto the whole fake Blue Bird thing. I noticed the signs and decals actually say "Blue Biro" 🤣

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,649 posts
95 reviews
7. Re: Uber Report Jan/Feb 2018

The Ngurah Rai Taxi cooperative desk is on its own and before you Exit into the throng of waiting Drivers (with or without customers),

Their Drivers wear a blue and White Shirt.

Everything in Bali is "Authorised" and "Official" in the same way you see "Authorised Money Changer" everywhere.

I use a "Central Kuta" Money Changing Office near the Dynasty in Kuta. It is lke a small bank with a teller and glass window.

A few Yards down the street by a market sidestreet a guy had painted a sign in the same Red/Blue as "Central Kuta", painted "Authorised Money Changer" on it and stuck it on his shed.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
865 posts
8. Re: Uber Report Jan/Feb 2018

Woops, of course I meant 300IRD not 30IRD just a lapse of concentration lol.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Uber Report Jan/Feb 2018

I've been quoted $35 by Murni's Houses in Ubud for pick-up, but think it's a bit overpriced. I think I'll try my luck with the Official Ngurah Rai Cooperative.

australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
10. Re: Uber Report Jan/Feb 2018

Personally, I would accept the offer from Murni's House. The driver will be waiting at the airport with a sign, help you with luggage, into the car and away you go. The driver also knows exactly where the accommodation is located as he is a local Ubud driver. Maybe your flight arrival is late at night which may affect the price.

Reply to: Uber Report Jan/Feb 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted