We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

study in Yogjakarta Visa

Groningen, The...
3 posts
Save Topic
study in Yogjakarta Visa

In september I will study in Yogyakarta's University Gadjah Mada for one semester (September-January/February). Now im trying to find the best options for my visa. I might get a social/cultural visa due to my University. Is it possible to go to different asian countries with this it, or will it expire? I I want to see as much as possible within this time, which is the best visa option for me to travel around Asia?

Also, my girlfriend is currently doing a gap year and wants to join me. However I read that it's not possible anymore to leave Indonesia after 60 days of residence and fly to (for example) Singapur and come back.

What would you guys recommend me to do?

Thank you very much! :)

Edited: 6:25 am, May 18, 2018
Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
780 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: study in Yogjakarta Visa

What is your nationality? If you hold an EU passport for example then you will have no problems traveling around Asia. Yes visa runs are not as easy as they used to be.

Groningen, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: study in Yogjakarta Visa

I have an EU passport, but if I get a social visa it will expire if I leave Indonesia, or not? I will have around 2-3 days school per week, thats why I have a lot of time to travel to other countries. However, I have to go back to Indonesia all the time for my studies.

My girlfriend will be only allowed to stay there for max. 60 days and has to leave Indonesia then, right?

Or is she allowed to come back when she visited another country?

Mentioned in this post
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,149 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: study in Yogjakarta Visa

@ DanielM1402

Socio Cultural visa is usually a MULTI visa and you can enter/ exit Indonesia as many times as you wish during its validity period.

Mentioned in this post
Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,149 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: study in Yogjakarta Visa

<<My girlfriend will be only allowed to stay there for max. 60 days and has to leave Indonesia then, right?>>

Visa free is 29 full days, not 60. 60 days is a tourist visa, your girl friend must apply in advance from the country of her residence. 60 days visa is a single visa visa, and requires a compulsory gap of 90 days before the next consecutive application.

Mentioned in this post
Groningen, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: study in Yogjakarta Visa

Thank you very much, that helped me a lot!

So there is no opportunity for her to stay longer than these 60 days? Or is it possible to get a socio/cultural visa for her too by any chance?

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,149 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: study in Yogjakarta Visa

<, socio/cultural visa for her too by any chance?>>

No chance at all, unless she is attending a conference in Indonesia or a student in one of our Universities.

To apply for socio-cultural visa she must present a formal Letter of invitation from social organization, school/university or cultural residence in Indonesia, which describes the purpose of the visit and guaranteeing all transportation and living expenses that will incur during stay.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: study in Yogjakarta Visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted