We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Chengdu to Lhasa

Which Lhasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Chengdu to Lhasa

Hi,

I am engaging a local china driver to drive us from Chengdu to Lhasa. According to him we will be taking the 318 routs from Chengdu. However, he did not informed us permit is require. I was being told we need to apply for visa to enter Tibet and also we can only arrive by plane or train.

Can someone pls provide me with more information ?

Thanks

Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving from Chengdu to Lhasa

Hi I'm from Singapore and planning for a group trip to Lhasa in Aug14. The local Chinese travel agent in Chengdu mentioned we need different coaches for different nationalities travelling together when entering Tibet. (max. 2 nationalities per coach) Is this true?

Holland
Level Contributor
315 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving from Chengdu to Lhasa

No, that is not true.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving from Chengdu to Lhasa

First of all. Just be noted that entering Tibet overland through Sichuan or Yunnan is illegal for foreign tourists. You will be stopped by check points when accessing Tibet. Only land way Qinghai-Tibet and Xinjiang-Tibet are open to foreign traveller.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving from Chengdu to Lhasa

Neither you can travel in Tibet (especially in Quamdo) independently, nor you can get the permit to reach Lhasa from Chengdu by land. If someone promises such adventure, this is 101% BS.

As I know, LP reports about similar cases - when the drived promise such illegal things then rob their clients.

Espoo
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving from Chengdu to Lhasa

Well, Chengdu to Lhasa direct is not possible for foreigners, but Chengdu - Xining - Golmud - Lhasa is possible by car.

16. Re: Driving from Chengdu to Lhasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 09, 2015