We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China to Lhasa to Kathmandu

Which Lhasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
China to Lhasa to Kathmandu

My husband and I want to travel to Chengdu, then continue on to Lhasa via flight. From Lhasa we want to fly to Kathmandu. We know we have to get a Chinese visa and Tibet Travel Permit. However, to get a Chinese visa now, you have to show proof of airline tickets arriving and leaving China. We heard that it is best to not mention visiting Tibet in your Chinese visa application. Therefore it seems impossible to book a flight from Lhasa to Kathmandu. Any suggestions?

Holland
Level Contributor
298 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: China to Lhasa to Kathmandu

I hope you realise that if you return from Moscow to X'ian/Cina, that you need a double entry visa for China?

Save Reply
12. Re: China to Lhasa to Kathmandu

To worldwander90. Can you please tell me what you did to sort out your problem with getting a Chinese visa and over landing to Kathmandu? I am in the exact situation as you were, I want to do the exact same route but can't get a Chinese visa without showing return flight tickets. Please let me know how you sorted out the problem. Many thanks

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: China to Lhasa to Kathmandu

You already have the answer in this thread : first make up a itinerary to make the Chinese embassy happy ,( i.e. don't mention Tibet ) with outbound flight and hotel bookings the first days. Get the visa . Cancel flights & hotel bookings. Then arrange your Tibet trip.

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
500 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: China to Lhasa to Kathmandu

We did the same thing.... I bought round trip tickets to Beijing the night before we went to the Chinese embassy to apply for our visas. I printed out the itinerary/receipt and attached it to the application. Did the same with hotels.

As soon as we left the embassy I called the airline and cancelled the tickets and also the hotels. Our visas were approved, no problem. All along I already had our real airlines tickets to Lhasa booked.

United let's you cancel without payment or penalty as long as you do it within 24hrs.

I used Dhondup of Tibetanguide.com for the Tibet portion of our trip. He sent our permits to our hotel in Beijing and the trip went perfectly.

Edited: 3:43 pm, October 05, 2014
Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
774 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: China to Lhasa to Kathmandu

perfect advice

16. Re: China to Lhasa to Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 pm, October 12, 2014
17. Re: China to Lhasa to Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 14, 2015