We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking train tickets from Lhasa - Xian in Lhasa.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
45 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Booking train tickets from Lhasa - Xian in Lhasa.

Hi,

Myself and 4 other travellers from the UK will be visiting Lhasa from Kathmandu in August/September 2013. We are booking an overland tour to Lhasa and then intend to travel onward via train to Xian. I'm aware that there is a direct service and that if it is booked in China it is far cheaper than booking through an online company here in the UK. However, we will only arrive in Lhasa 2/3 days before wanting to take the train to Xian and so I wondered if tickets are likely to be sold out by this point? We are in Nepal from early August until leaving for China in very late August/early September. Wonderful place though I believe Lhasa to be, we'd rather not get stuck there! Can anyone advise me on what might be the best course of action?

Thanks,

Ben

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,027 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking train tickets from Lhasa - Xian in Lhasa.

Tickets only go on sale 20 days ahead. You can wait untill you arrive or use an agent to do it for you for $10 per ticket.

2. Re: Booking train tickets from Lhasa - Xian in Lhasa.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:11 am, April 17, 2013
3. Re: Booking train tickets from Lhasa - Xian in Lhasa.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:11 am, April 17, 2013
Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
45 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking train tickets from Lhasa - Xian in Lhasa.

Thanks, is it possible to book Chinese train tickets from Kathmandu?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking train tickets from Lhasa - Xian in Lhasa.

Too late to buy ticket. Start booking it as soon as tickets are open for sale. OTW, no little change left. Aug is peak season for Tibet. Situation eased by end Aug but still risky if you don't act quickly.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
45 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking train tickets from Lhasa - Xian in Lhasa.

If it is too late to buy ticket when we arrive Lhasa, when and how should we buy the ticket? As we are in Nepal 20 days before the journey.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking train tickets from Lhasa - Xian in Lhasa.

Ask your tour operator to do it, obviously this can be part of their duty as you've purchased tour from them. You tour starting from Kathmandu can be arrange by companies from either China or Nepal. In generally, those from China will have more channels to secure the ticket.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,027 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking train tickets from Lhasa - Xian in Lhasa.

Read here about trains in China and booking tickets: http://www.seat61.com/China.htm

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking train tickets from Lhasa - Xian in Lhasa.

Because August and September are during the high season for tourism, you run a very high risk of tickets already being sold out by the time you arrive in Lhasa. It will be very easy for the agency you are booking your tour to Tibet with to arrange the tickets for you. They will charge a reasonable fee and will get the tickets for you before you arrive.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking train tickets from Lhasa - Xian in Lhasa.

@ Jean-Pierre

Can you give me the name of the agent that would procure the tickets with only 10$ fee?

All the agents I have contacted, asked mu much, more (50% orre more mark up).

Merci!