We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Lhasa?

Madison, Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Topic
Weekend in Lhasa?

Hi there,

I'll be traveling to China for my first time this summer; I'll definitely be in Shanghai and Beijing for work, but I'd like to get out of the cities for a few days and do some trekking and sightseeing. My work trip stretches for two weeks, but I'll probably take some vacation days on one or both ends depending on how the trip works out. So I have a free weekend between Friday afternoon and Monday morning to fill, as well as some days before or after the work trip.

Is Lhasa feasible to do over a weekend? Are there any day treks that are accessible from there? Or should I plan to visit Yangshuo/Guilin over that weekend and go to Lhasa from Beijing after work ends?

Madison, Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Lhasa?

Also, I'll likely be traveling with a few undergraduate and graduate students. Would anyone have any recommendations for tour companies or travel agencies for Tibet? How long does it take to get a permit to get into Tibet from China?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,329 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Lhasa?

A bit too far for a weekend. Take a look at Yangshuo instead.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,745 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Lhasa?

Hallo, I suggest you to read here before decide to go in Tibet:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294211-c187076/China…

My Best Regards

rongpuk

Los Angeles...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Lhasa?

if you only have 4 days, maybe you can only traveling in Lhasa city, there will not be able to trekking

5. Re: Weekend in Lhasa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 02, 2014