We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing food to eat into China

Which Lhasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gallup
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Bringing food to eat into China

I am allergic to MSG and soy products and need to make my own foods to bring with me. Can I bring homemade vacuum packed meat jerky?

Lhasa, Tibet
Level Contributor
244 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing food to eat into China

Yes, you can bring meat jerky and the Chinese Custom will not give you any trouble... but... lots of food in China are with MSG and soy... I'm not sure how you can avoid them completely... I suppose you may not eat meat jerky for the whole time in China...

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,736 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing food to eat into China

Sure you can but you can also hit the supermarkets to buy what you want. Tons of restaurants in China that serve western food too. I don't think McDonald's adds MSG.

Edited: 10:56 pm, November 01, 2011
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,622 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing food to eat into China

Are you sure, I though meat was specifically banned. (I know they seldom check - A friend was bringing a thanksgiving turkey into China in 2008 when they first introduced luggage scanning and got away with it!)

Lhasa, Tibet
Level Contributor
244 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing food to eat into China

Perhaps the Custom wanted the turkey for his own delight... :P

Cooked meat (thus meat jerky) should be okay, raw meat may be banned.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing food to eat into China

I just spent a month in China and Tibet , I can't eat anything with MSG but had no trouble finding plenty of fresh food.

Lhasa, Tibet
Level Contributor
244 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing food to eat into China

Dragon, where did you go in Tibet?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing food to eat into China

"Yes, you can bring meat jerky and the Chinese Custom will not give you any trouble... "

NO! Bringing meat is not allowed. It is the same regulation for most countries:

"Fruits, solanaceae vegetables, live animals (except dogs and cats as pet), animal products, pathogenic micro-organisms of animals and plants, pests and other harmful organisms, animal carcasses, soil, genetically modified organisms, relevant animals and plants, their products and other objects subject to quarantine from countries or regions with prevalent epidemic animal or plant diseases."

…customs.gov.cn/publish/…info70101.htm

Of course, if they will not check you, you will not have any trouble. If they check you, you might be in some trouble. May be they only take the stuff away and let you sign a piece of paper.

"Cooked meat (thus meat jerky) "

--> jerkey is not cooked, it is just dried. Anyway, customs usually does not allow any meat product, also not cooked products. Well, they may not easily identify it when scanning the luggage.

By the way, luggage scans are very common at borders in China. At many borders, all suitcases have to put through x-ray while small had luggage bags can be carried through without x-ray.

Lhasa, Tibet
Level Contributor
244 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing food to eat into China

From the experience of myself and my friend, they were totally fine to take meat jerky from Malaysia or Singapore to Chengdu (Sichuan Province) without any trouble at all.

Raw meat is not allowed, but meat jerky is not raw.

And there are strict regulations against fruits.

My friend's bag was checked by x-ray (sure, all international border has x-ray machines), the Custom found a banana and asked my friend to write a form (but no penalty), they also found the meat jerky and it was totally fine.

I like a special brand of meat jerky and my friends always brought this to me, no problem at all.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,736 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing food to eat into China

The question was not if you are allowed but if you can.

You mean that beef jerky is beef???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing food to eat into China

Lhasa, unfortunately I did not have enough time to see anywhere else but I truly loved all that I saw and feel very honoured to have visited such a wonderful place. We saw as much as we could of Lhasa and my husband and I enjoyed it all.