We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meals on Beijing Lhasa trains

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Meals on Beijing Lhasa trains

Hi Everybody,

Does anybody know if meals are included in ticket prices of the Soft/hard sleepers? If not are there pure vegeterian meals available on the train? Need to know so that I can carry my own food.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Meals on Beijing Lhasa trains

Meals are not included in the train ticket. The common food is noodles, and some Chinese fried dishes. But, yes, you can have vegeterian meals on the train. There's a ding cabin in the train, where people can have their meals. But I'll suggest you also carry some of your own food as food on the train may not caster to your special diet. I aways carry my own food when taking train in China.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meals on Beijing Lhasa trains

Thanks very much for your information.....I will definitely carry some veggie food for the journey.

3. Re: Meals on Beijing Lhasa trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:56 am, June 22, 2011
Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Meals on Beijing Lhasa trains

You're welcome, have a nice trip in Tibet

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
182 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meals on Beijing Lhasa trains

I would definitely take some food with you. Food quality on the trains is generally not great and is even more limited if you are a vegetarian. If you do not speak Chinese, take a card with you with the characters for "I do not eat meat or fish" - if you eat dairy, you might want to add the characters for that too. My wife is vegetarian and she carries a small laminated card with these phrases wherever she goes - it is invaluable.

There is a plentiful hot water supply on the train, so things like noodles, packet pasta, soup or porridge are all good options. Drinks can be bought on the train or on some of the platform stops.

Asia
Level Contributor
969 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meals on Beijing Lhasa trains

If you drink tea/coffee, it’s not a bad option to bring your own cup & spoon. A lot easier to use than paper cups.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meals on Beijing Lhasa trains

Thanks for your great ideas.

Carry a "Vegeterian only" sort of card always...had the same problem in Japan initially.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meals on Beijing Lhasa trains

While all the responses are good, there are none from people who actually have riden on this train, which is very special in China.

Please see the info at http://www.seat61.com/China.htm#Lhasa & Tibet

The trip reports talk about a set breakfast and buffets for lunch and dinner, which of course are good for vegetarians (usually).

I also would do a search using the search box at the top of this page on Lhasa train reports and write directly to the posters. You might get three or four responses from travelers who can report what they encountered in the way of food.

Edited: 11:28 am, April 22, 2011
9. Re: Meals on Beijing Lhasa trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, October 30, 2012