We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri-La is it part of Tibet or China

New York
Level Contributor
149 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Shangri-La is it part of Tibet or China

Seems I may not have time to go to Tibet but am told that Shangri-la is inhabited by tibetans, so i can experience the culture without going to tibet. Does that seem like an accurate statement, or if I do choose to go to Tibet, does 7 days seems like sufficient time. I basically have 2 weeks vacation and will be flying from NY and i will first have to land in shanghai or does it make sense to do shanghai at the end. i only need 2-3 days in shanghai but would also like to see Yunnan area.

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shangri-La is it part of Tibet or China

Shangri-la (also known as Zhongdian) is in Yunnan province. You do not need a permit to go there. You can further west - Deqin and Delai-si - to see more Tibetan culture. There is lots to see in Yunnan, so mainly spending 2 weeks there, with a couple of days at the end in Shanghai, makes sense.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
2. Re: Shangri-La is it part of Tibet or China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:57 am, August 09, 2011
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,646 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shangri-La is it part of Tibet or China

Be careful with your language. Tibet IS part of China! Another area of China inhabited by Tibetans where you don't need a permit is the area around JiuZhaiGuo Valley in western Sichuan Province.

Mentioned in this post
hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shangri-La is it part of Tibet or China

Sorry - I had a typo. Should be Felia Si.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shangri-La is it part of Tibet or China

You live in New York, is it part of America or the United States?

New York
Level Contributor
149 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shangri-La is it part of Tibet or China

my only issue with visiting tibet as much as I want to is that it may be closed to foreigners in March and I plan to go the end of March

7. Re: Shangri-La is it part of Tibet or China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, July 04, 2011