We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is Tibet close in 2018?

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
When is Tibet close in 2018?

Hi, I’m intending to travel to Tibet from 17th Feb 2018 to 27th Feb 2018.

I’m confused because some of the agencies are able to operate but some couldn’t.

What is the official 2018 closing dates?

Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
122 posts
1. Re: When is Tibet close in 2018?

Where are you going to visit?

You know that Chinese Spring Festival falls on Feb 15th, 2018 and a week holiday. Besides, there are few visitors to some remoted areas in Tibet. So if you just visit the big cities like Lhasa, Gyangtse, Shigatse, it is no problem.

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
7,224 posts
2 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: When is Tibet close in 2018?

TAR/Tibet closes well in advance of March 10th every year. Every year since 2008 , and on many separate years before that. How early ? All you can get is educated guesses . No official statements are made.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
3. Re: When is Tibet close in 2018?

The government never makes official statements about this. Generally, the closure period starts somewhere around the 18th-20th and goes all the way through end of March. Even if that wasn't an issue, in 2018 the Chinese New Year period is right when you want to be there. Agencies that are telling you they can't host foreigners during this period are being upfront and proactive; the ones that are telling you otherwise are fooling either you or themselves, and will eventually end up telling you that Tibet is closed to foreigners during your time frame.

Seriously, change your plans. Either go elsewhere (preferably not China) during this time period, or shift your Tibet trip time to the first ten days of February or April or later.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
356 posts
4. Re: When is Tibet close in 2018?

The precise closure date was never given ahead, but usually before Tibet New Year, which is on 16 FEB 2018 (different from Chinese New Year).

Don’t suggest you to travel at this time of the year anyway. Most of us are ready for winter break. Guides & drivers don’t like to take on a job during these time, thus they will charge more money for it. Besides most monasteries will be semi-closed with many chapels closed inside.

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
5. Re: When is Tibet close in 2018?

Thank you everyone for your reply! I guess I'll pick another time to travel to Tibet :(

Edited: 9:01 pm, December 20, 2017
Tibet, China
Level Contributor
254 posts
1 review
6. Re: When is Tibet close in 2018?

Tibet will be closed a few day before middle Feb till end of March due to new year and political reasons, the reopen is in early April, so you can either do the tour before middle Feb, or after March.

Lhasa, Xizang, China
Level Contributor
839 posts
15 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: When is Tibet close in 2018?

There is no certain information at all so far.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
134 posts
8. Re: When is Tibet close in 2018?

There's no office announcement on the closure dates, but if flexible, make it in early Feb., book refundable tickets, or after April. Good luck!

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
86 posts
9. Re: When is Tibet close in 2018?

There's no office announcement on the closure dates now, TAR was closed from February, 20 to March, 31 2014. And in 2013, it was closed after January 22 to March, so I think you can take this for referance for planning the tour.

Level Contributor
203 posts
10. Re: When is Tibet close in 2018?

I'm afraid you have to choose another time to travel to Tibet. Usually, Tibet closes for foreigners from mid-February to the end of March. Maybe you can change to mid-April.