We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best why to Fly to Tibete ( via Nepal or China)

LONDON
Level Contributor
127 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
best why to Fly to Tibete ( via Nepal or China)

Hi I would like to visit Tibete Lahas, etc but I'm not sure what is the best way to fly there there are several options that I'm considering, just need to find out the best one specially in terms of money and less time traveling:

I'm flying from London- Beijing - Lhasa -( Overland Tour to Kahtmandu) - fly from Kathmandu to London.

or

. fly London -> Kathmandu / Kathmandu- Fly to Lhasa / Lhasa overland Tour back to Kathmandu - fly back to London.

the thing is usually buying a Round trip London Kathmandu it's cheaper than buying one way trip London Beinjing and then Kathmandu - London.

My problem is that I believe there are not many available flights from Kathmandu To Lhasa , is this correct?

Any other itinerary that you could suggest that I might be missing?

many Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Tibet Travel Guide
Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours
China Odyssey Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best why to Fly to Tibete ( via Nepal or China)

London- Beijing - Lhasa is better. It is not easy for a foreigner to enter Tibet from Nepal.

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best why to Fly to Tibete ( via Nepal or China)

Generally, flight between Lhasa-Kathmandu is available only every other day, operated by Air China.

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
186 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best why to Fly to Tibete ( via Nepal or China)

It is better to go from London to Beijing then to Lhasa.

From Lhasa, you could start your trip to ZhangMu Port which is the boarder pass between China and Nepal. This is overland trip.

You could also think about flying from UK to Chengdu, or from other European cities to Chengdu, fly then from Chengdu to Lhasa. Please make sure to obtain Tibet Travel Permit prior to your trip. This shall be applied after obtaining Chinese visa,

Hope this would be helpful

xiantourbooking

Edited: 6:55 am, December 20, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
LONDON
Level Contributor
127 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best why to Fly to Tibete ( via Nepal or China)

Thank you for your reply it was very helpfull ! So if I'm flying to Lhasa from China and going overland to Nepal boundery , it makes sense to return to London via Nepal right?

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best why to Fly to Tibete ( via Nepal or China)

Compare first the costs on flights for each route. If similar, doing Tibet then Nepal would be better as you will save time and hassle to reapply for the new Chinese visa to only allow you visit Tibet from Nepal side and the possible trouble to extend your Chinese visa later.

You may have heard about that you will redo your pre-applied Chinese visa to a kind of group visa in Kathmandu if you will visit Tibet from Nepal, this application takes few days or longer espl. when you meet with weekend. Moreover, this visa is allocated with less valid time than a normal one, may bring you trouble when you possibly need to extend your stay in China.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best why to Fly to Tibete ( via Nepal or China)

well, i think your itinerary is very good and no need to choose another one. But be careful of the visa of Tibet,do not do any crazy thing in China,it may get you in trouble.Have a good journey!

Mentioned in this post
LONDON
Level Contributor
127 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best why to Fly to Tibete ( via Nepal or China)

Thank you for your update once again.

So if I buy a return flight to Kathmandu and then fly from here to Lhasa, do the overland trip from Lhasa back to kathmando - What visas do I need to get? Do I need to get a visa for Tibete only right? This itenireary does no cover China only Tibete . ...

Or would I need a chinese Visa as well to be able to travel in Tibete?

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Holland
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: best why to Fly to Tibete ( via Nepal or China)

You need both, a Chinese visa and a Tibet permit. You can get them both trough a agency in Kathmandu. I advise you to get in touch with an agency in Kathmandu on time.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
9. Re: best why to Fly to Tibete ( via Nepal or China)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 25, 2014