We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Tibet
Search

Trek from Tsurphu to Yangpachen

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
Trek from Tsurphu to Yangpachen

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Tibet around the end of July, specifically the trek from Tsurphy to Yangpachen. Can anyone share their experience with this trek? I'm curious about the level of difficulty and whether its hard because of the elevation or the terrain. Was the experience enjoyable?

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Trek from Tsurphu to Yangpachen

Hello Julie,

The trek is not technically difficult For me was the easiest I did in Tibet. Only thing you must consider is altitude. If you spend few days in Lhasa and surroundings would be enough acclimatization for this trek. Be aware that the end of July is rainy season. Is not like the monsoon in the South side of the Himalayas, but would recommend may-june or september if your dates are flexible.

You can see some info and photos on my blog (it's in spanish):

inocuo.net/trekking-tibet-monasterio-de-tsur…

Hope it helps!

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
356 posts
2. Re: Trek from Tsurphu to Yangpachen

Did have clients back out in the middle of the trek once in awhile due to altitude sickness, but most people manage to carry it through. As said above, do pls have at least 3 nights in Lhasa to acclimatize. The scenery is very pleasing along this trek route.

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Trek from Tsurphu to Yangpachen

Thank you for the responses. I think we will stop in Xining for 2-3 days before moving on on Lhasa, and the trek starts on the 5th day in Tibet. Is this a enough time to acclimate safely? My daughter will be with and she is 14. I go back and forth about the trip, worrying a lot about altitude sickness. Unfortunately we are not very flexible with the dates. Is the rain all day every day? Or is it possible it might not rain at all during the 4 day trek? Thank you again.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
356 posts
4. Re: Trek from Tsurphu to Yangpachen

Other places like Xining (2275m) wont help with altitude acclimatization. If you have extra time, mind as well spend it in Lhasa (3650m) to get use to real altitude of Tibet.

You needn’t worry too much abt altitude. Tsurphu to Yangpachen trek route is relatively one of the easier trek routes in Tibet. The average altitude is abt 4400m. with proper acclimation in Lhasa most people manage it without problem.

This trek route is closed to Lhasa city, abt 4hrs drive from Yampachen to Lhasa. If unfortunately the symptom was severe, your travel agent can come and pick you up and return to Lhasa with short notice. (with my 7 years in this business, this happened only once)

Edited: 6:54 am, January 30, 2018
Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Trek from Tsurphu to Yangpachen

Definitely not enough with only 3 nights in Lhasa. I would recommend to visit Ganden, Drak Yerpa and even Namtso before starting the trek as you can walk in higher altitudes. Lhasa is at 3650m only. Leave the trek at the end of your stay in Tibet. You should decide about the risks you are comfortable to assume. Be sure to book with a responsible travel a agency that make you aware of planning rush itineraries. Safety is first!

It rains shortly during afternoon and all night usually. You can also enjoy some days without rain, but weather is unpredictable... we can only base our predictions in stats. You would be at campsite hopefully if your timing is good. When I did this trek it was summer and no rain, but two days after I followed with the Ganden-Samye Trek and I had big storm of snow & ice. I enjoyed it a lot though.

I'm going to Kailash in early August, so we might cross our path in Lhasa. Have gppd trip and don't worry too much. Most kids i've met in Tibet were feeling much better than their concerned parents ;)

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
7,360 posts
2 reviews
12 helpful votes
6. Re: Trek from Tsurphu to Yangpachen

#4 is way off the mark - Xining is at ideal altitude to START acclimatization and prevent altitude sickness in Lhasa. This is for example where the workers constructing the railway to Lhasa had their first acclimatization stop.To trek at the 4400 meters in a safe way you need both acclimatization in Lhasa and a intermediate stop @ 4000-ish meters.

Level Contributor
215 posts
7. Re: Trek from Tsurphu to Yangpachen

We usually arrange four nights before this trekking tour. But as Peggy said, you don’t need to worry too much. If there are some unexpected situations, your Tibet agent will handle it easily as long as they are experienced tour operators.

8. Re: Trek from Tsurphu to Yangpachen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 11, 2019