We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yarchen Gar closed to foreigners

Espoo
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
Yarchen Gar closed to foreigners
Save

Bad news from Kham which I had not noticed before: Foreign tourists held and questioned for hours by police and security, then kicked out of Yarchen Gar: https://mag.greezoo.com/yarchen-gar-made-inaccessible-for-tourists-foreigners/

Quote: "Despite presenting their documents, Pedroletti and company were also interrogated for five hours by the members of Yarchen Gar’s state-controlled management committee. Besides the interrogation, the officials also checked their cameras.

According to the reporter, the ‘unconvinced’ officials then locked them in their hotel room ordering them to leave the place by 9 a.m. the next day.

“They chased us away the next day, and we could not see Yarchen Gar or the complex (Larung Gar) in nearby Serthar County,” he said.

Sad.

We were able to stay there for a few days last June, but apparently the demolition is starting in Yarchen Gar also. As we all know, Larung Gar has been closed to foreigners since mid-June 2016. What does the Chinese government have to hide?

Edited: 4 years ago
Holland
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
41. Re: Yarchen Gar closed to foreigners
Save

It's indeed the subject line that gives the wrong impression.

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
19 helpful votes
42. Re: Yarchen Gar closed to foreigners
Save

Yarchen gar is closed for foreigners and chinese in june 2019.

I spend 3 nights in july 2018 in yarchen gar and decided to go back in june 2019 because it's such a fascinating place and I felt that it would just be a matter of time until the chinese government would take action.

Before I arrived in Ganze local tibetan people told me yarchen gar would be closed which I got confirmed in Ganze. Surprisingly chinese are not allowed to enter. I met a few who were refused at different checkpoints.

At the moment (june 2019) there are three different checkpoints between Ganze and Yarchen Gar and there are still ways to sneak in at your own risk...

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
486 posts
43. Re: Yarchen Gar closed to foreigners
Save

In April of this year, we already knew about the closure of the Yarchen Gar .The last time I went was in November last year,.

Yesterday, I called a friend living in Ganzi County. He said the place will be open next month.

I'll call again in early July to confirm.

Holland
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
44. Re: Yarchen Gar closed to foreigners
Save

At #43. Yes, please do inform us next month. I would like to revisit Yarchen coming October.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
9 reviews
9 helpful votes
45. Re: Yarchen Gar closed to foreigners
Save

I'm curious too - also heading there in October - we may cross paths #44

Holland
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
46. Re: Yarchen Gar closed to foreigners
Save

Both travelling in October. So who knows Lissie.

Edited: 1 year ago
4 posts
47. Re: Yarchen Gar closed to foreigners
Save

Hi there

I am planning to visit Yarchen Gar next week, sometime between June 26 and July 2. Sad to read reports that it is closed, as this was one of my top destinations on my trip to Sichuan.

Do you think I should still give it a shot? Or is it certainly closed?

4 posts
48. Re: Yarchen Gar closed to foreigners
Save

I am currently in chengdu and will be traveling to Ganzi over the next few days via Kangding and Tagong

2 posts
49. Re: Yarchen Gar closed to foreigners
Save

Hi there,

Since 4 weeks I'm back from a trip to Kham . Yarchen Gar is absolutely closed for all, foreigners and Chinese tourists. A trip from Ganze to Pelyul (Bayu) seems to be closed too. I went from Derge to Pelyul, this road is open for foreigners and it was also possible to drive from Pelyul to Ganze.

The turnoff to Yarchen Gar is absolutely blocked.

Edited: 1 year ago
Holland
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
50. Re: Yarchen Gar closed to foreigners
Save

Thanks for the update Siegfried. I maybe want to revisit Yarchen Gar in October. So I'm hoping for an other update from somebody at the end of September.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.