We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to find good dim sum in Hong Kong

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
7,435 reviews
18,341 helpful votes
Where to find good dim sum in Hong Kong

A question regularly asked on this forum is where to find good dim sum in Hong Kong.

Short Answer: Everywhere.

In all honestly, seeking the best dim sum in Hong Kong is a bit like trying to find the best 711 in your home city. The dim sum standards are very high in Hong Kong and it is impossible to say which is best. At times, it can be even difficult to say which is better between a handful of nearby places.

Most establishments in Hong Kong serve baskets of dim sum that are likely to be much better than anything you have had back home. This means is that you can pretty much pick a place near your hotel or where you intend to do a bit of sightseeing and expect to have a very good dim sum. There is no need to travel half way across the city and stand in queue for another hour to find good dim sum. That is a waste of your time. Very good dim sum is everywhere.

How to find establishments that serve dim sum?

Don't worry. There are plenty of options. You can start by researching local website - Openrice.com to get the names of a few places near your hotel. If you don't want to fuss with Chinese characters, then look up places here on the TripAdvisor restaurant listings. There are places around the city with English names and English menus that are listed on TA. These are fine to try if you'd like.

Other ways to find dim sum houses are to simply ask your hotel concierge or front desk. They should be able to point you to places nearby. Alternatively, feel free to ask here on the TripAdvisor Hong Kong forum (but remember to mention the location of your hotel or where you plan to be) so posters can offer up options nearby to where you will be.

Hope this is helpful! Now get out there and enjoy a basket or two!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For extra help on the Hong Kong dim sum scene, see the following link to the Hong Kong Food and Dining General Information Guide (see link)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294217-c216261/Hong-…

Here you will find Dim Sum general information, ordering guide and even an app or two.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for those who really just want to follow someone else's dim sum advice. Here are a couple of articles which point you to some popular choices.

Here is a recently written article pointing out a few places commonly sought after by visitors (see link)

Sassy's Dim Sum Guide (see link)

sassyhongkong.com/dim-sum-guide-hong-kong/

Recent Blogger Report on Dim Sum in HK (see link)

www.withhusbandintow.com/hong-kong-dim-sum/

There are plenty other online articles and reports on the local dim sum scene if you want to do a bit of looking around.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
74 reviews
63 helpful votes
1. Re: Where to find good dim sum in Hong Kong

Thank you BradJill for taking the time to write such an informative post. We will be in Hong Kong for the first time in May and are lovers of dim sum. We live in an area with a high Asian population so have quite a few local restaurants that serve dim sum daily. Definitely looking forward to some memorable dumplings!

Spain
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
97 reviews
77 helpful votes
2. Re: Where to find good dim sum in Hong Kong

Thanks a lot!

This informaton will be useful when we are in Hong Kong, actually I was a bit stressed with this, as I wanted to try real Dim Sum! Glad to know, it s very easy to find a good place with it!

New England
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
34 reviews
34 helpful votes
3. Re: Where to find good dim sum in Hong Kong

Many years ago, I had a most memorable dim sum experience at Luk Yu.

On an early Saturday morning, a Rolls Royce was parked outside. (OK, not a big deal in HK.) Once inside, the traditional decor and the old school waiters made me feel like I was back in the 60s. Many dim sum items were new to me and never found anywhere else. Pork liver shui mei, among others, came to mind.

Yes, good dim sum places with run of the mill items are plentiful in HK. But Luk Yu is the only one I remember, and want to return to. Pricier than other places, but well worth it for all the dim sum aficionados.

Perhaps a thread about *outstanding* dim sum places?

Edited: 8:05 am, March 09, 2016
Level Contributor
67 posts
290 reviews
96 helpful votes
4. Re: Where to find good dim sum in Hong Kong

Thank you Bradjill. You are right, even the unknown take away dimsum at Mongkok has a yummy dimsum.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
158 reviews
74 helpful votes
5. Re: Where to find good dim sum in Hong Kong

Brad, I always like to go to the one next to BP house, Kowloon .

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
7,435 reviews
18,341 helpful votes
6. Re: Where to find good dim sum in Hong Kong

You're all welcome. I'm glad the thread is proving useful and I hope all find rewarding dim sum and other food experiences here in HK.

like2roam (post 3)

Nice post. This is what is lovely about yum cha (dim sum and tea). You will encounter diners from all walks of live enjoying this timeless traditional meal. I enjoyed your add-on.

vinerlies (post 5)

Perfect.... Your comment captures everything that this thread was trying to explain.

Good dim sum can be found in 'The place next to the hotel' and this statement can apply to much of the city where visitors regularly stay when visiting Hong Kong. Thanks for sharing.

Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Where to find good dim sum in Hong Kong

Thank you so much. My Cantonese is awful and I hadn't known there were dim sum apps. Downloaded in preparation for my next trip (OMG, 3 weeks!).

8. Re: Where to find good dim sum in Hong Kong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 12, 2017